Best way to stack lots of wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloth9669

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hello there. Iam writing to find out what you all think is the best way to stack about 30 plus cords. As of right now it have wood end caps to keep the rows from falling. avg 16'' wide and 24' long to total a cord. It sits right on the ground and looking for better space management as well as avoiding all the dirt and bugs putting it right on the ground gets yea. i don't have a supply of pallets otherwise they would be on that. Any advice would be help full thanks again.

I have often found pallets being tossed out by dumpsters in industrial or commercial areas. Worth looking, if you are close to "civilization".

Otherwise, just give me your address and I'll come pick it up so you won't have to worry about it. :D

Okay, well, then how about railroad ties? Or find someone building a deck and pick up their scraps? Especially if it's that plastic wood. Anything to get the good stuff off the ground.

Got a Freecycle list in your area? Post a WANTED for decking scraps, RR ties, cinder blocks, bricks. It's amazing what you can get. I've got enough red bricks to make a nice patio, free for the picking up. Cinder blocks, about 20 some forsythia plants, the list goes one. Worth a try.

MVC-606F.jpg

MVC-609F.jpg

Doesn't show up very good but there is about 30 cord in my storage. I have 3 bins held up (mostly) by the RR tie/crossbeam method. I had to extend the bin in the first picture last year by using unsplit rounds. Ricks in the bins are as high as I can reach, about 7ft.

I came up with this method after I got tired of "chimney stacking" the rick ends and then having them fall down.

Harry K

sloth9669 said:
Hello there. Iam writing to find out what you all think is the best way to stack about 30 plus cords. As of right now it have wood end caps to keep the rows from falling. avg 16'' wide and 24' long to total a cord. It sits right on the ground and looking for better space management as well as avoiding all the dirt and bugs putting it right on the ground gets yea. i don't have a supply of pallets otherwise they would be on that. Any advice would be help full thanks again.

I guess the best answer in stacking 30 cords is; First, you must allow yourself alot of extra time and stack it off the ground via pallots or any rack that will allow the pieces to be off the ground. The ends of the pile can either be blocked (criss cross) or drive stakes in the ground to hold the ends from falling over. That will avoid all the dirty pieces that stacked directly on the ground. As to all the bugs/insects getting on or into the pieces of firewood while being stored, there is not much of a cure to prevent that from happening, unless its been treated for bug infestation ( kiln dried or fumigation) and stored inside of a building to prevent other eliments from happing while in storage. Either way you choose, its all extra time and extra expense. Good Luck

Firewoodguy.com

So you finally found this site, huh FW guy??
What was the deal on yours?? I used to enjoy it, but the pas times I was there it was all spammed up..

bottlefed89 said:
So you finally found this site, huh FW guy??
What was the deal on yours?? I used to enjoy it, but the pas times I was there it was all spammed up..

Hi Bottlefed89, I been a member of this "site" since 2001. So where have you been ? . I don't know what you mean " deal on yours....... was all spammed up ...etc ? You don't have me confused with someone else site, do you?? As far as I know, my site is operating fine.

Firewoodguy.com

Didn't even look at the date, just saw the 2 posts...

Aren't you firewood.com?? If so it is very frequently covered with BS posts.
If not, then yes, I do have you confused...

bottlefed89 said:
Didn't even look at the date, just saw the 2 posts...

Aren't you firewood.com?? If so it is very frequently covered with BS posts.
If not, then yes, I do have you confused...

"NO", I'm not firewood.com and then "YES" you do have me confused with someone else.

OK, no hard feelings man, you do frequent the site, and see all the BS though, right?? I hink that's where I recognize your name from...

bottlefed89 said:
OK, no hard feelings man, you do frequent the site, and see all the BS though, right?? I hink that's where I recognize your name from...

Yes, I have posted & replys before on firewood.com and well as other forums. I also noticed (on firewood.com ) the increase in the BS posts about 6 months ago and it just keeps on escalading. Its to bad it going down hill, it used to be a good site.

Take care

This seems like an efficient use of space. Posted on here a little while ago.

Back