Best way to store saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stored my echo trimmer with gas in it from October - April and it fired up with 5 pulls but i run ethanol free with double dose of stabil marine, I do the same with everything

I have posted that I could store my two-cycle snowthrower for eight months and it would always start on the first or second pull.

My saws are always fussier (except the electric ones !).

Philbert

Whatever is left in my tanks is what gets ran the next time I pick it up.used to run 87 non ethanol with valvoline.no 87 non ethanol around anymore so ive switched to 90 non ethanol and regular stihl oil.the ultra started givin me headaches.
Havent had one bit of trouble.

Aside from the potential starting/gumming issues, I store my saws inside when they are not in use. Seems like a safer place for them. If they have fuel in them, they stay in the garage. If they come inside, they get drained first.

Philbert

If u want your saw to run like new after storing it there is really only one way that's gauranteed to work, when your done using the saw and your ready to store it just sell it instead and buy a new one the next time you need to use it again :) it actually might be cheaper doing that than running vp sef lol

If u want your saw to run like new after storing it there is really only one way that's gauranteed to work, when your done using the saw and your ready to store it just sell it instead and buy a new one the next time you need to use it again :) it actually might be cheaper doing that than running vp sef lol
Just ran that one by the wife.....she said no. Go figure!

I don't do anything to store my saws. Amsoil at 40:1. I've never had a problem. Some of my saws don't go a day without running, some go over a year. Worst I ever had to do was hose a carb out with carb cleaner but that was on a 445 husky that bought for $75 I use for a beater in the yard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For my 2-cycle stuff, I leave the ethanol free gas, mixed with VP Full 2 Cycle oil, in the machines all winter. I just go start all my engines once a month and let it run for a few minutes. Keeps the seals lubed up and the engines happy. Everything starts every time except for the one time I had a fuel line leaking in an Echo hedge clipper.

For my 2-cycle stuff, I leave the ethanol free gas, mixed with VP Full 2 Cycle oil, in the machines all winter. I just go start all my engines once a month and let it run for a few minutes. Keeps the seals lubed up and the engines happy. Everything starts every time except for the one time I had a fuel line leaking in an Echo hedge clipper.

Getting close to cutting time, so I started up the ms290. Several pulls and it started right up. Full of e-Free gas, nothing else, just sitting in freezing temps for 6 months. Strong sounding, revved snappy like, idled perfectly.

VP Small Engine Fuel. Non-Ethanol. $75 a gallon. Cha-Ching!!

Wow, $75. Take a look at Sunoco race fuels, most are around $12/gallon around here . Optima is intended for equipment and has three year shelf life: https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/fuel/optima
Been using 260GTX for years in all our equipment without issue and dependable startup after seasonal storage.

If you have a small airport near where you live, you can get 110 Octane Low Lead Ethanol free for around $5.50 a gallon. If they feel like pumping it for you. If you can get this stuff, it will make your OPE scream.

For decades I filled the gas tanks with high test gas mix before ethanol. They sat till we cut again. Husky Xp two stroke mix has stabilizer in it. I use the pre mix husky gas now I add more oil to it.

I had stabil fail on me in my 1200 bandit. I use seafoam now.

Back