Best way to thoroughly clean cooling fins?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCullochCollectorPNW

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Im new to collecting saws and enjoy cleaning them but there are some parts I cant stand to work on- in particular the cooling fins. Do you guys have any recommendations on tools/chemicals/methods to go about giving these a really deep cleaning?

Im currently cleaning a McCulloch 895 that is nasty and it feels like Im just pushing grease around and not really getting anywhere :(20180818_153215.jpg

You can use strips of scotch brite pad and solvent to clean between the fins. Cut the strips 1" wide and 10" long and pull them back and forth between the fins. It wouldn't hurt to soak the whole cylinder over night in a pail of solvent or gasoline before you go at it with the scotch brite.
I'll give that a shot. Thank you

O’Reilleys foaming engine degreaser does a good job.
451e9b015a78f3f4c6598afc6996473a.jpg

Blast it off with hot water from a garden hose. [emoji106]

As has been suggested, use gasoline OUTSIDE, or use some spray brake parts cleaner. If you use gasoline, have some good parts cleaning brushes on hand. I have a good selection. Both hard and soft bristles.

Walmart sells their own house brand of brake parts cleaner. It's good stuff, works well, and is reasonably priced.

$1.94 per can.

a582cc48-b417-445b-bd88-6e0e6a8173dc_1.7c8c4ccc69dfcfd8113d3d9291904250.jpeg

Gasoline is hazardous and can create an explosive atmosphere. It also evaporates too fast to clean really well. For these reasons I have switched to diesel/kerosene (same as spray Gunk) and a selection of brushes. Hose off when done and remove any kerosene residue with multi purpose cleaner followed by a clean water rinse.

... chopsticks or wooden barbeque sticks for scraping between fins. Cheap (hemp) string of various sizes can do miracles between those fins...
I hadnt thought to use chopsticks but thats a good one. Id mostly been using wood paint stir sticks Id break into various sizes but thats not always effective.
Using hemp string I'll definitely have to try. Id bet thats abbrasive enough to free gunk up in tight places without the scratching.

I use gasoline on really gunked up stuff. I have a good sized parts washing pan, big enough for most items I need to clean. I always use the gasoline outside and have never had a problem in over 50 yrs.

The gas seems to cut thru gunk better than anything else that I've used. And, it's economical to boot.

I use screwdrivers to break up and cut thru the really hard dried on gunk. They do a good job.

If the slots in your covers ain't clean, then the job isn't done. ;)

This is one of my favorite go to brushes.

s-l1000.jpg

I have one with a metal handle, same HD bristles. Was my dad’s. [emoji15]
Great for dry brushing off the heavy stuff and punching out the recoil slots. [emoji108]

Just doing that saves contaminating a bunch of mineral spirits.

Latest posts

Back