Best wedge for oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyinTN

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Finally got around to bucking some white oak trees a tornado blew over May 2017. Have about 12 pieces that are about 22-24 inches in diameter. To big for me to get on the splitter. Hate to see them go to waste so thinking about splitting them in half with a pair of wedges then splitting them.
What brand wedge would you recommend?

You can noodle them if your bar is long enough. Cut them into quarters and then use the splitter. Otherwise any metal wedge will do, just dont sink it in the middle, take chunks off the outside and work it into smaller and smaller. Thats how I take care of mine.

You can noodle them if your bar is long enough. Cut them into quarters and then use the splitter. Otherwise any metal wedge will do, just dont sink it in the middle, take chunks off the outside and work it into smaller and smaller. Thats how I take care of mine.

This summer I cut up about 3 cords of 24-26" red oak that my neighbor had taken down a few years ago. I messed around with some wedges at first, but then I switched to my Fiskars x27 axe. I could flake some 3" pieces off the edge (tangent to the growth rings) until the remaining core was small enough to lift onto my splitter beam

If they are round enough, you can roll them onto your splitter using a 2x6 or larger. It's just leg work with that method.

Finally got around to bucking some white oak trees a tornado blew over May 2017. Have about 12 pieces that are about 22-24 inches in diameter. To big for me to get on the splitter. Hate to see them go to waste so thinking about splitting them in half with a pair of wedges then splitting them.
What brand wedge would you recommend?

This is how I go about the big rounds.

Back