Best wood stove insert

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So i got the Centrifugal Blower 115 Volts Fasco # 50747-D401 delivered today. It was a perfect match with my Federal Airtight insert. It made a big difference in spreading the heat around the room and the entire floor. I just need to ground this thing, i didn't have the proper wiring to do so.... I attached a photo as well.

Looks good. I wonder. Is it possible that you can reverse the mounting so that the wires are toward the wall (chmney) rather that toward the room? That means that the squirrel cage and motor are oriented upwards, above the exhaust, rather than down. Seems like that would look better.

If not, at least you have a solution and a working part that fits the stove. Glad to be of help. I believe you can attach the green ground wire from the 3-wire cord to any part of the cage or the stove. That should ground it out.

this is another setting, i got two screws out of three holding it. Its fine, there is no vibration anyway. i'm not sure which face is best to face us.

As for the ground, i will get a 14 gauge wire with a ground, hook the ground wire to the blower body and then trough the wire and into my outlet ground.

new photo attached.

I have a Buck 91. 4 cubic foot firebox, heats great! You can install it as a stove with legs too. If I were starting again, I'd put the stove on some sort of stand, so I could load it without bending over. Think about how you'll handle ashes too. Again, if I were starting again, I'd have a hollow stone base with an opening to the outside. I'd cut a hole through the base of the stove, so ashes could be pushed down without any handling.

I have a small Buck stove from the late 70s, freestanding in an upstairs room. For over 30 years it has been almost maintenance free, only having to replace the "gaskets" around the doors once. It heats great and will keep a good bed of coals all night if dry rounds are used. Overall, it's been a top notch unit, and it can really put out some serious heat with the air unrestricted.

We looked at a new Buck today for possible use as an insert in a downstairs fireplace. This was a model 80, and it had a "trap door" in the bottom which emptied into an ash pan underneath. Our old stove must be cleaned out with a shovel. The new model has a full glass door on the front and front mounted blower also. It looks well made, and I'm seriously considering buying it next week.

Do any of you have experience with this model, and, if so, how does it work ?

Back