Better Business Bureau

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griff93

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been trying to set my business apart from the hacks around here with no licensing/insurance, etc. I'm considering joining the BBB as part of an effort to do that. Any thoughts/comments/experiences?

Yeah that's kinda what I was afraid of. I've notice a lot of other tree services in this area belong to the BBB so I didn't want to missing out on something due to not being part of BBB.

They called me the other day and said I was nominated to join the bbb. First question I said is how much. She formally told me it was like $400 a year.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I've been trying to set my business apart from the hacks around here with no licensing/insurance, etc. I'm considering joining the BBB as part of an effort to do that. Any thoughts/comments/experiences?

Seriously, don't waste your time nor money. BBB is 1970's stuff.

How the hell do they stay in business?

That's a good question. They actually suckered me into joining back around 1987 or 88 I think it was. I was stupid enough to stay two years. Looking back I guess I was capable of making some really bad decisions with money back then. The whole deal was worth $00.00 and I believe even then the dues were like $300 a year. What a scam.

You don't have to be a member to register your company with them. You just won't have their accredited stamp. Your customers can still see/leave feedback about your work.

Seriously, don't waste your time nor money. BBB is 1970's stuff.
Their are still a lot of people who use the bbb to research a company before they hire one. Just register for free so they can at least see you don't have negative feedback.

And most of those people wouldn't pay a nickel to watch a monkey screw a June bug in the first place so.....
They can careless about monkeys and bugs but they pay to have their trees maintained

You can be listed on BBB so people can see what kind of complaints you have. It is good to have good ratings. These days better than a BBB seal is to get reviewed on Angies List or even Yelp. Having reviews for people to see IS important.

I spoke to some contractors that are using BBB and they seem to like it. They all said having the BBB logo with their score on in being displayed on their website was helpful.
They said when people go to their site they usually click on the BBB logo to do a quick check on them and then decide to call. I am not sure how many referrals they are getting from the BBB.
They said it helps with getting more people to call once they visited their website. Not sure it is worth $500 per year.

I think you can save the $500 and just have a link to your BBB review page. You don't have to be a member to be reviewed by BBB.

So is having your link show up in relevant websites also helpful?o_O

Back