better ways

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abs111999

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I drove up to the woods ...65 miles round trip..I forgot sawgas. I had 2/3 tank in the 034 and managed to fall 6 trees
do a small amount of limbing and bucked in 6 ft sections. I got a full load and there is still some gas in the saw.
I was out of the woods in exactly half the usual time and expended about 35% less energy which is important because I am getting old. What is usually a full day alone in the woods and a total wipeout became a breeze and half the day still free.
I was wondering why did I ever do all my cutting in the woods??This is a revelation...!
Yes I have to cut it at home now but that can be done anytime day or night,fall or winter.
Now that I will cut my wood this way( I sell a few cords too) I need to set up some kind of large deck/table to off load
the 6 ft pieces onto and make it easy to throw them around and pull them to a cut off station for uniform cutting .
I might put a splitter on the end of it also. But I will be the cutter with a small saw at the station.I wont have an auto cut off saw because thats too much electricity and equipment.
I was wondering if anyone here has set up an efficient little table rig like this to make their small log duties easy and
flowing.??The deck would have some kind of rollers built in to make moving logs around easy.
Ever seen any examples of this...??? I only cut softwood 4-12 inches. Largest DBH is 13 inches. I only split stuff
bigger than 7-8 inches.

Yeah I like to cut at home with a sawbuck. makes life easy, safer. Here's a vid of a homemade one, not mine.

Nice setup, no need to do the back in carrying the saw, I take you have no power
there, using a circular saw blade would be a further improvement, stays sharp
a lot longer too.

I do sometimes cut too long pieces on my chop saw. But I would need to split most pieces first. How much money do you think it would cost to get an electric over hydraulic pump and a suitable sized piston for splitting..?Do they make an AC over hydraulic or is it only DC...?

I’m
I do sometimes cut too long pieces on my chop saw. But I would need to split most pieces first. How much money do you think it would cost to get an electric over hydraulic pump and a suitable sized piston for splitting..?Do they make an AC over hydraulic or is it only DC...?[/QUOTE

I have a ac electric hydraulic pump off of a hydrolic hose fitting press I think it’s a Dayton. I would want to know what it costs new. When I was building my wood splitter I used it just to see if my cylinder would be suitable to split what I want before I had the engine and pump on and it had a ton of power but was a little slow.

I do sometimes cut too long pieces on my chop saw. But I would need to split most pieces first. How much money do you think it would cost to get an electric over hydraulic pump and a suitable sized piston for splitting..?Do they make an AC over hydraulic or is it only DC...?
I would visit the local breakers, get a hydraulic ram off an old machine
like a digger, cut it to length and plumb in. You want an AC motor, no need
for a DC, look up the flow and pressure of the pumps on the factory made
splitters and get a similar pump coupled to your motor, a valve block and
tank can got in a breakers yard too.
An uncle of mine put a pump off a small dumper driven by belt
from his old lister generator to drive his splitter, looks like
something the flint stones made, but works well, never seen him with a hatchet.

Somehow my post got screwed up but this is a pump off a hydrolic hose fitting press I used it to test my homemade splitter out before I put gas motor and pump on it and it had a ton of power but was slow I have no idea what one would cost but there out there I don’t see why you couldn’t build a unit with a small pump and a electric motor 75538B66-F7BB-435B-B592-B633163D19D2.jpeg

You ever see the machine used by stone wall builders to split stones,
engine driven hydraulic setup, they make a good log splitter, come
on wheels so the can be towed about.
If you have a tractor just use the hydraulics of it to drive the ram
of a splitter.
You also get garage presses that come up at sales, easy conversion to log splitter.

The reason why a small pump is cost and flow. The bigger the pump, the more money it costs. And flow need to be low so it can be controlled. Nobody cares if it takes 2 second ms or 10 seconds to put a hydraulic crimp on a hose. But the do mind if it’s lightning fast and they pinch there fingers or screw up fittings constantly.

Back