Bias truck tires

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The OP wanted to know about snowy conditions. I'd put these up against any tire in snowy/icy conditions: http://www.greendiamondtire.com/

I'm old enough to have used bias ply snow tires and I think these are better. I currently have Bridgestone Blizzacks on the VW (Peloquin differential in it) and had 2 sets of the Green Diamonds before. I prefer the GD tires. They really, really work well when there's ice anywhere on the road.

You gotta take them off in the summer or you'll be putting tires on every year or 2 at the most. I have a set of steel rims and swap all 4 corners in November and in March.

View attachment 328947 A good set of chains and it doesn't matter if the tires are bias or radial.
While no where near as good as a set of chains in extreme conditions I am on my third set of general grabber at2 tires, I have found them to great, as an all around tire. They aren't the best at any one thing but as a whole they are damned hard to beat, I pull a lot of wagons and trailers both on and off road.

"Walked" right through?? No running start?? No wheel spin?? No tire slip?? No rooster tails of mud??
If you answered yes... this time it's my turn to call the bull.

Spidey, you can call it whatever you want, but I've seen your truck pics, I even owned one set up just like it, except a super cab, it even had the exact bias plies on it that you run because the old guy I bought it from liked them. It was capable and held its own, I liked it fine, but when I switched to M55 Toyo radials the performance on snow and ice was improved. Deep snow, wet snow, packed snow, glaze ice, freezing rain, the radials did a better job and they were a taller wider tire to boot. not siped and no studs either. The sad part of this is that the M55's are not a super great snow and ice tire even though they are rated for snow, but they still did better.

Anyway, nice truck you got, I parted mine out after a year, more than doubled my money doing that. My F-350 now runs that 5.8 motor and I put the transfer case into my '88 dually. I kept the trans to overhaul as a spare and then sold all the other parts, body panels, fuel tanks, all of it, then scrapped the frame.

Mr. HE:cool:

So not to mix things up here even more, but how bad do bias ply tires ride on the road. I would be putting them on the rear of my 89 f350 DRW. It only does 5-10,000 miles a year most on road but it does spend significant amount of time off road in the woods moving wood as well as moving dirt, gravel etc.

Right now I run radial A/T's 235/85-16 and they do ok, but who doesn't want more traction in the woods. I run radial mud terrains on my other truck and they are decent all around tires, but they are not too good on road in the snow.

Last question, I do a fair bit of heavy towing with the f350, will bias ply offer decent towing manors? I am looking for advice from guys you have actual run bias ply tires on their trucks.

You will not like bias-ply tires on dry pavement at highway speed, you'll hate 'em.
I'l drive 20, maybe 30 miles with mine, anything over that and I'll swap over to my radial A/T's.
To be honest I rarely drive my truck any further than 10-15 miles from home... it's been over 30 miles from home just once in the last 5 years or so.

Thanks guys. Sounds like I am sticking with radials, your advice lines up with everything I have read.

Anyone here have any of those aftermarket tracks that bolt to trucks? Man, they look like they work good.
You will not like bias-ply tires on dry pavement at highway speed, you'll hate 'em.
I'l drive 20, maybe 30 miles with mine, anything over that and I'll swap over to my radial A/T's.
To be honest I rarely drive my truck any further than 10-15 miles from home... it's been over 30 miles from home just once in the last 5 years or so.

As my father said, cheap tires and cheap brakes will get you to the scene of the accident first. I have driven on coop buckshot bias plys. Great traction in thin mud, maybe off road snow, but packed snow and ice? No. They are the worse.

Now I know you won't agree with me Mr. Spidey as your stuck in the 50's so any test, research, and experience anyone has conducted since 1959 is null , void, and complete hogwash to you.

I Have a set of Michelin ltx m&s and except for a true snow tire they are the best I have ever driven on packed snow and ice. Expensive yes but much cheaper than one accident. If I really need to tear up property of road or I feel the need to put my life(and others) in danger with deep snow on the road then I can put a set of tire chains on and walk right on by your stuck truck Mr. white Spidey . Remember most accidents happen within 5 miles of the house.

So not to mix things up here even more, but how bad do bias ply tires ride on the road. I would be putting them on the rear of my 89 f350 DRW. It only does 5-10,000 miles a year most on road but it does spend significant amount of time off road in the woods moving wood as well as moving dirt, gravel etc.

Right now I run radial A/T's 235/85-16 and they do ok, but who doesn't want more traction in the woods. I run radial mud terrains on my other truck and they are decent all around tires, but they are not too good on road in the snow.

Last question, I do a fair bit of heavy towing with the f350, will bias ply offer decent towing manors? I am looking for advice from guys you have actual run bias ply tires on their trucks.

Duallies are great for what they're intended for - stability while towing/hauling heavy loads. Part of the tradeoff is they're not great off road, especially when it gets muddy. Good M/T tires help some, but you won't like the squirm when towing compared to the ATs you run now. Life's all about choices, and in your shoes, I'd stick to the better highway tires.

I do need to get a set of chains for the ranger to wrap around my 31-10.50s, any suggestions?

I did think of this thread when I pulled the camper through the snow covered sections and wet sections of the yard. Bout the worst time to move it, but needed it out of the way. Though I did a number on the yard, never did slip a wheel....

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

I do need to get a set of chains for the ranger to wrap around my 31-10.50s, any suggestions?

I did think of this thread when I pulled the camper through the snow covered sections and wet sections of the yard. Bout the worst time to move it, but needed it out of the way. Though I did a number on the yard, never did slip a wheel....

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Check out tirechains.com.

Well, I looked there, and kinda got confused.

These will mainly be for deep snow, know not much will help if it gets too deep, but...

There are sets at Wallyworld, but didn't know how well they'd do in the deep stuff.

I like the heavy duty two links, but it'd be $400 for all fours.

Back