Bias truck tires

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I looked there, and kinda got confused.

These will mainly be for deep snow, know not much will help if it gets too deep, but...

There are sets at Wallyworld, but didn't know how well they'd do in the deep stuff.

I like the heavy duty two links, but it'd be $400 for all fours.

What vehicle, weight, what does deep snow mean to you?

I know on my jeep wrangler with 235/75r15 Michelin ltx m&s are not the best off-road tire. I don't have diff locks and I still can go through drifts over the bumper IF I keep momentum up. With a set of v bar on the rear only I can walk through it instead of busting them at 20 mph. Snow drifts thigh high, I am. 6'2. On all 4 I could go through more but I would pack my engine/radiator full of snow so why, bust out the tractor or draft horses at that point! Taller vehicle could use more. Out west in the mountains I understand that there reaches a point that the snow so far down gets packed that big wide tires will float but you have to be very carefully not to " chew " through it or you will be 5' down.

Cable chains are good for onroad packed snow and ice where the v bars are only good for off road. On road you want all 4 for stopping and turning especially on a 4x4 or RWD. Just fronts on a FWD is ok if you take it easy.

The best tire chains for both on and off road is these.

http://www.tirechain.com/DIAMONDSTYLECARCHAINS.htm

They are great on road and good off but the best thing is how fast and easy they go on.
You said that it would be 400$ for a set but did you realize they are sold by the pair? On the sight listed above they are 115 for the best one a pair so it would be 230 for 4.

Another thing to remember is that oversized tires can be rubbing or very close to it especially on font fenders. Tire rubs now and then no problems. Chains are going to tear something up.

Well, I looked there, and kinda got confused.

These will mainly be for deep snow, know not much will help if it gets too deep, but...

There are sets at Wallyworld, but didn't know how well they'd do in the deep stuff.

I like the heavy duty two links, but it'd be $400 for all fours.

I'm not an expert on tire chains, have a couple sets, but I don't use em often. The 2-link style just has double the cross chains compared to standard chains. This will likely give a better (notice I didn't say good) ride, but won't add much traction wise. I only have one set for the plow truck, have never put them on this truck, but on my old truck, just chaining the front axle made all the difference I needed when things got bad. Likely I'll try putting them on the rear of this truck first if I ever need to use em, as the GM IFS isn't all that stout, or cheap to fix. I miss my 86 sometimes..

I think you'd be just as happy with the standard heavy duty chains, or if you're strictly off pavement with em, the HD V-bar chains. The V-bars are frowned upon by highway departments around here, as they can do a number on blacktop roads.

Well, these will be for a Ford Ranger, and thought the two links (177 pair, thus around 400 for two), looked liked they would provide more traction. But if the regular ones provide as much traction, then that would work for me.

This one is one of the few Rangers that came factory equipped with 265's instead of the more common 235's. The 31 10.50's were not much bigger than the stock tires, and went this route since its a more common size. No rubs with them, but would have to be careful with full lock turns.

As for conditions, deep snow is 2-3 feet, maybe more, which may be more than it can handle anyways. Its pretty much snowmobile territory most of the winter, but during the spring is when I'd like to be able to get up in there. While its mostly gravel roads or even asphalt in places, its a really remote area, and getting hung up becomes a little more than just a nuisance.
The Ranger's limits with my old tires were found at around 30"+, during a snowstorm we had here. The new tires haven't been tested in that sort of snow, must be getting a little older, or wiser....

Bias plys are like running a carburated engine these days ,yeah it works but why ?

Bias plys are like running a carburated engine these days ,yeah it works but why ?
pot.gif
pot.gif
pot.gif

The only bias ply I have is on my scrap trailer hauler. But, it is running the old mobile home axles/hubs with 14.5" rims. Had a bubble poppin out, well a big azz hemroid, on drivers rear last time I used it. It popped back in after it was unloaded, only had about 3 ton on. Put a new one one tho.

For truck tires, my old Mickey Thompson MTZ were dang nice tires in mud, snow, wet. Super soft tho and didn't hold up well tread wise. Running stock size on my 3/4 ton. Don't help I run gravels a lot, plus there is a trailer of some sort on the back 75% of the time. Never got stuck once, pulled a lot of people out. Just running Firestone Transforce AT's on truck now. Smoother, quieter, a tick better mileage, and should hold up well to heavy loads.

Not sure I would run bias on truck. My Polaris Sportsman gets mighty grabby and rolly on pavement doing 65+, can't image them on a my truck hauling 5th wheel camper with fishin boat behind cruisin 75.....I know, apples to oranges.....

Paging @Whitespider check out the lower right side of this ad.
What a friggin' letdown... Northern ain't got no full-size bias tires.

For the added bite and traction in deep snow and mud off-road... that's why.

Latest posts

Back