Bid Specifications

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Warden

Reaction score
What would you do if public bid specifications were written to insure only 1 contractor could qualify and it was not your company?

It sounds like the competition was flat spec'd - something like:
Contractor shall do this.
Contractor shall do that.
Contractor shall be XYZ Company.

The best thing that you can do is to show that you are perfectly capable of meeting the requirements of the spec. If they were flat spec'd, they most likely have an "IN" with the guy who wrote the spec. You're driving into the wind there.

THEN, when you're on the job site, you may run into the pissy attitude of the guy who spec'd the "other guy". Expect that he will have a 60x spotting scope shoved so far up your kiester that you burn a hole through your pants if you open your mouth while facing the sun. EVERY little thing you do will be scrutinized.

We run into crap like this here where I work - the only reason that it went out for bid is because their rules state that they must get 3 competing bids. At the end of the day, they have no intention of buying anything EXCEPT what is already flat spec'd - unless someone else comes in super low on price that they are forced to accept that bid.

Good luck.

To answer the first question. What made it specific to 1 company was the number/amount required of specialty trucks that only 1 company in the state possesses. Oh and btw it is the incumbent contractor that happens to have that quantity of equipment.

It was mentioned to bid it anyway but based on the requirements and without proof of ownership, other bidders would be disqualified. Trying to put together an arrangement where you could "gather" that equipment if needed for the bid would not be accepted unless it was registered in the bidders name.

I understand if they prefer that contractor but this one is too "in your face". Do you "fight city hall" or just move along and let it go?

If you are more than capable to do the job in a timely manner and can put in a competitive bid . Put your bid in . Make sure your bid is well written and very profetional . Then take it to the news paper . They love stuff like that . City hall is basically sterling from the tax payer . More than likely there are some kick backs happening there . Believe me it happens !! I’m from Luzerne county . The most corrupt place in the United States . Yes some city’s have a couple winners but we have the most . If your are anything government involved around here your are more than likely crooked. The paper will put the pressure on city hall for you .

Happens all the time here,
eg, must be TCIA Aceditted Company,
CTSP on staff,
ISA Cert arborist on site, etc,
we do a lot of jobs like this, and I think it great, not bidding against lowballers.
Jeff
This would be something that’s totally in line with ok for me . Certification and proper oversite is always a must when it comes to working for the government . Safety And impact on the area should always come first . . That’s not too much to ask and would expect that to be part of any bid specs . Now if they are stating that you need to own and not lease or rent equipment . Or you need to have a blue ford truck .... something that has no impact on quality or completion of the job then that’s out of line .

That’s not too much to ask and would expect that to be part of any bid specs . Now if they are stating that you need to own and not lease or rent equipment . Or you need to have a blue ford truck .... something that has no impact on quality or completion of the job then that’s out of line .

Are they asking something like that?, because yeah, that is stupid if they are, that would mean they already know who they want.
Jeff

Back