Bidding question, new guy here

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dschroeder

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I’m going to be looking at an apartment complex job this weekend that they want the lower branches removed on all the “pine trees” for mowers to go underneath easier up to 5-6ft (seems that’s what everyone says they have because of the needles lol). Being pretty new to doing tree work is there an easy way to “guess” at time it’ll take per tree? I’m equipped with a few chainsaws and a echo power pruner.

I’ve been doing tree work for my HOA for a few years and by word of mouth have gotten a few calls to do outside work. With the HOA they just have me submit a bill after it’s complete and cut a check so haven’t had to estimate a jobs cost.

You haven't paid attention to roughly how much time it takes you to do the work at the HOA? How do you decide how much to bill them? If per hour, how much do you get done per hour (or day...)?

You hauling everything away too? In what?

Not seeing the trees, it could be 5 minutes per tree or an hour per tree. Just look and think "how long will it take to make proper cuts and achieve what they want?" and "how long will it take me to clean it up to their expectations?" You'll get better with time.

PS: if they are modest sized trees, using a good handsaw is just as quick and safer than chainsaws...

I bid things at 300$ an hour cutting time . Which w o a bobcat will get you about 100$ an hourwhich is pretty good. Then figure out what i need. Before I did not have a bobcat if I needed one I'd do an extra 400$ if it was a huge job I'd get a claw truck 150-200$ a load. But a lot of this has to do with your area of where you are at. Always go high you can always come down

You haven't paid attention to roughly how much time it takes you to do the work at the HOA? How do you decide how much to bill them? If per hour, how much do you get done per hour (or day...)?

You hauling everything away too? In what?

Not seeing the trees, it could be 5 minutes per tree or an hour per tree. Just look and think "how long will it take to make proper cuts and achieve what they want?" and "how long will it take me to clean it up to their expectations?" You'll get better with time.

PS: if they are modest sized trees, using a good handsaw is just as quick and safer than chainsaws...

I bill the HOA $50/hr (cash) I have a site I can dump for free, use my pickup and a 6.5x12 trailer. Usually it’s a little trimming here and there/storm damage. My Neighborhood is 15 years old so not much for big trees yet...hand saw or power pruner takes care of 90%

I bill the HOA $50/hr (cash) I have a site I can dump for free, use my pickup and a 6.5x12 trailer. Usually it’s a little trimming here and there/storm damage. My Neighborhood is 15 years old so not much for big trees yet...hand saw or power pruner takes care of 90%

add $20, and remember to factor in for drive times etc.

at $70 an hour you'll still be cheap, but not ridiculously so, so if you take forever on the project that you bid a flat fee on, you won't feel real bad about losing a **** load of money on it.

it all depends on how brushy these trees are, 10 or so limbs to a tree would be right aroun 1/2 hour for one guy, not including dumping, 100 limbs could take 2-3 hours.

Cash.....as in no insurance. And you don't report it/pay taxes on it?

I have insurance, and an arborist license. The last couple years I made just under $600 so there wasn’t a 1099 issued

This year I will be well over that in the neighborhood

Good to hear that you are doing it right!!!

(talk to an accountant though...I'm pretty sure the IRS wants their cut even if you aren't issued a 1099 - but don't take your tax advice from me!).

My accountant said not to worry about it (just got done filing for 2017) they’ll get a nice cut of my HOA paid stuff the next 5 years...have 70 ash trees to remove to prep for replanting. (EAB is here). They’re easy removals and I quoted a flat rate per tree. 6-10” across where I’ll cut and 15-25ft tall. Sad to see them go but better than waiting till they’re dead to start the replacements

Have you looked at treating a few of the better trees? Basal drench with imidacloprid works well if you get started ahead of damage and is pretty cheap on those small trees.

Have you looked at treating a few of the better trees? Basal drench with imidacloprid works well if you get started ahead of damage and is pretty cheap on those small trees.

We discussed treatment at the last board meeting but due to the close proximity of the houses at the trees were planted they are basically just too big for the area that the builder stuck them :/

Mr. Schroeder,
I appreciate that you are treating the HOA reasonably. I originally wrote a rather long post about affordability of essential services, but I'll just leave it at this: Treat people reasonably and fairly, and word will get around. Best of success to you!

Mr. Schroeder,
I appreciate that you are treating the HOA reasonably. I originally wrote a rather long post about affordability of essential services, but I'll just leave it at this: Treat people reasonably and fairly, and word will get around. Best of success to you!

In addition to living in the neighborhood, I'm also on the HOA board...so travel time to the "jobsite" is 2 minutes from one end of the development to the other. Word has spread a little bit, and I assume it will continue to do so as time progresses.

In addition to living in the neighborhood, I'm also on the HOA board...so travel time to the "jobsite" is 2 minutes from one end of the development to the other. Word has spread a little bit, and I assume it will continue to do so as time progresses.

Isn't being on the HOA board a conflict of interest?
Jeff

Isn't being on the HOA board a conflict of interest?
Jeff

Not really, the board is a volunteer group and I don’t hold a officer position, just a member. I have a contract to do maintenance and landscape trimming/tree work around the neighborhood, nothing is “under the table” or secret about it. Our community is roughly 150 homes, and for the most part as long as stuff is done at the neighborhood looks nice The owners are happy that it’s done and we save a little money over calling a outside contractor in for everything Also has the benefit of me being right there in the event of storm damage to a tree that is laying across a sidewalk or street... or a street sign gets knocked down etc

Back