Bidding work around construction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gorman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm starting to feel like I have to put a footnote or tack on extra to work on new construction jobs. The last two I've done I've lost hair working around concrete crews or the excavation starts before we r finished. Real boondoggles. What do you guys do when you're facing this?

What role are you playing in the process? Removals ahead of construction, tree protection during the process, etc...?

Mostly removals and stump grinding. I am also dealing with a contractor that doesn't get the point of a tree protection zone that we set up around a white oak the customer really wants to keep. It's all very taxing.

Work with the customer more closely.

Tell them you need the site by yourself until XYZ date. If you can't get done by then, you are gonna need to work around other contractors.

For tree protection zones, The client HAS to be the one putting the pressure on the contractor. They are going to ignore us every time because we are nothing more than a nuisance. Put up construction fence. Tell the client to put a fine in their contract if that area is violated. Probably helps to be a little over dramatic (without being a jerk) the first time you see a minor violation of that. Lots of mulch (that is going to be pulled away later) to prevent compaction if you know they have to be on the roots with equipment.

Working on a construction project is a different animal. You need to look at yourself as part of a team. Everyone is working on their own deadlines and knowing those deadlines is critical. Talk with the Project Manager and get the overall schedule for everyone. Build in site visits to your bid. Things will always change on a job and you need to try and anticipate those changes. Everybody needs space to work and try to work with the other contractors and their needs.

Fines in a contract and more substantial fences are the best.
Being involved from beginning to end is essential. Most contractors arent foing to give a damn but I've worked with some great landscape architects who have been allies. Unfortunately, many of them also need to be educated re trees during construction.

I know a landscape architect that walked the general contractor around the job and assessed $$$$ for trees in protection zones.
I think he also put signs with the $$ on the fences.
There were some other interaction with equipments operators to make his point and emphasis $$

Back