Big cheif

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wooly

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just about got my Indian chief wrapped up. I ran into some trouble on the execution end of things when I got to work on his chest. That's why we have a void there,lol. Had to compromise and take what the wood gave me getting away from the original plan at that point. Just got a few small details to go back and add in, and I MAY add some war paint, but unsure of that as I really struggle with a paint brush.

Hardly perfection, but a good stepping stone towards my next one!
DSC_0072.JPG
DSC_0074.JPG
DSC_0068.JPG
DSC_0064.JPG

Good work, Looks like your progressing quite nicely. Your ahead of me , I have yet to try making a face let alone some kind of figure to go along with it. I am going to try if the weather ever straightens up here.

My wife's uncle saw some of my stuff that got posted on face book. At the family reunion he cornered me and said I should make one of those old time cigar store Indians and sell it for big bucks . Yeah right , just take a chainsaw and a big log and a an hour later out pops a full size Indian that you could sell for a couple thousand bucks to some collector. That is what he thought anyway . I just couldn't tell how hard that would be. It is all sooo easy . Right.

Good work, Looks like your progressing quite nicely. Your ahead of me , I have yet to try making a face let alone some kind of figure to go along with it. I am going to try if the weather ever straightens up here.

My wife's uncle saw some of my stuff that got posted on face book. At the family reunion he cornered me and said I should make one of those old time cigar store Indians and sell it for big bucks . Yeah right , just take a chainsaw and a big log and a an hour later out pops a full size Indian that you could sell for a couple thousand bucks to some collector. That is what he thought anyway . I just couldn't tell how hard that would be. It is all sooo easy . Right.

LOL- I hear ya on that!
I get all kinds of crazy requests for stuff I've never even considered, let alone attempted before. If my skill level matched my visions and imagination I'd be all set..., but probably 90% of this stuff I just make up as I go, and the end product rarely ever looks like the original idea I had in my head. That's another reason I can't really get into the custom order carvings. If someone likes something I've already got made up that's perfect, otherwise they'll have to find someone else who can recreate their ideas for them or do it themselves.
This is all just therapy for me, and every once in a while I'll sell a thing or two that usually all gets sunk right back into the next project.

Yep, I hear ya , all kinds of strange requests. The weirdest one I have been asked to do is Jiminey Cricket (sp) I think he is a Disney character. I have no idea how to go about that one.

I do the same as you , no custom work at this time . Only what I have done and completed. I am always afraid that the vision they have and what turns out will be two different things. Charging money for something they may not like would make me feel bad.

Very nice. I have a carved chief that someone gave me as a wedding gift.

Back