Big Dogs for Stihl Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank Boyer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've decided to upgrade the dogs on my saws. What are the current favorites?? Most of the dogs posts are from years ago. I'm looking at dogs for a 361, 460, 660, and possibly a 260 and 360. THANKS Frank

I just buy the matching outside dog to the stock inside. The big after market ones look good but eat up you bar length, they may only be good for cutting some real barky tree like a locust tree, but I personally never needed them.

I do agree that they eat up almost two inches of precious bar space, however I quite like em. They are much more aggressive than stock and dig into and through thin bar for a good leverage cut. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to the smaller stock dogs again but then again I’ve only been cutting for a few years...

I found mine for my husky on eBay, paid with a buy it now button in which I didn’t need to make an account. Point being searching eBay for your model /large dogs and you will find all kinds of nice big ones quickly.

Sometimes longer bars have a tendency to pitch forward when set down.. That just bugs the sh*t outta me. So that usually dictates the size of dogs. If nothing else I'm practical..

I checked the inner dog on my 660 and it is a Stihl 1122 664 050 8B. I still need a matching outer dog for that saw. Anyone have a Stihl part number??? Some of the online vendors show the 660 and 460 take the same dogs. The 660 size dog would be much better on the 460. Will the Stihl 660 dogs fit on a 460?
THANKS
Frank

Oh, I hate to chime in where I'm not exactly positive, but I believe the clutch and thus clutch housing on the 660 is larger requiring the spacing on the dogs to be 5/16ths longer than on my 461. I'm just saying, you better make sure.

Bob

Oh, I hate to chime in where I'm not exactly positive, but I believe the clutch and thus clutch housing on the 660 is larger requiring the spacing on the dogs to be 5/16ths longer than on my 461. I'm just saying, you better make sure.

Bob
One of the online vendors said that there is a difference between a 660 and 460. You are correct.
Frank

Back