Big Oak Tree's that need to go

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kipper

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the right place but I will try anyway.

My mom has four large (36 in diameter at base) ok trees in her yard, three of them at each corner of her house. They appear to be about 50 to 60 feet tall.

We had one guy come out and look at taking them down and he said there is at least 12 cord of wood in just the limbs.

My question is what to do with the large sections? I will want the limb's for fire wood and am debating whether to try to spit the large sections or contact a mill to see wha their interest's would be.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Funny, I could have sworn I was in the Commercial Arborist section, not the Home Owner Help Forum.

Obviously I'm not only getting old, I'm coming down with an acute case of old climbers disease as well!

Farewell cruel world!

jomoco

Wait Jomoco! Its just in the wrong thread no need to make a hasty cut!! He is just a young "kipper" after all. Kipper, I have the same question as to the reason behind removal of these large oaks? What is the motivation? Initially it sounds like someone is interested in the firewood and or lumber value of the trees.

The co. who does the work should take the logs with them if so desired.

Whats the reason for cutting them down? Any pictures?

Yeah I knew i would get some flack for choosing this section however, I thought I could get the opinion fo the folks who do this every day for a living. Sorry to dissapoint. Here's a little history. My mom is 57 and plans to live in this house hte rest of here life and the upkeep with the leaves is overwhelming and she does not wan the tree's that close to her house any longer. Not to mention the damage they have already caused to the foundation of the house.

I own:

2005 Kubota BX23 w/custm made thumb
6 in Jinma Chipper
Stihl MS 270 and MS 210
MTD 26 ton horizontal / verticla splitter
2004 6 x 10 Dump trailer with 4 ft sides

I do haev a fireplace and could burn some of the wood. This is more for my mom to get her yard in to something she can manage and not tear up her house any more. I lived in that house for 18 years and I dreaded raking the leaves every year, It will be a good day when I see them go.

I will try to get some pics over the weekend.

Thanks,

Kip

Too many leaves? Get a blower and help your mother out each fall. Damage caused to the foundation would NOT have been caused by the trees. It would have been caused by a poorly installed foundation, or settling. The tree roots will only go into cracks which are pre-existing.

Now I've gone before and taken down trees which are very similar to the situation you are describing. I've always felt guilty about it. Before, and after. During... I just want to get it done.

Last edited:
I totally understand that one Kipper. Have you ever split by hand? if not i suggest taking as much as you want/ need and split a couple and see how it goes. After that i would be nice and give it away on craigslist, but i do own a tree service so i see a lot of firewood. Oak is good stuff though once it's seasoned.

Yeah I knew i would get some flack for choosing this section however, I thought I could get the opinion fo the folks who do this every day for a living. Sorry to dissapoint. Here's a little history. My mom is 57 and plans to live in this house hte rest of here life and the upkeep with the leaves is overwhelming and she does not wan the tree's that close to her house any longer. Not to mention the damage they have already caused to the foundation of the house.

I own:

6 in Jinma Chipper
Stihl MS 270 and MS 210

I do haev a fireplace and could burn some of the wood. This is more for my mom to get her yard in to something she can manage and not tear up her house any more. I lived in that house for 18 years and I dreaded raking the leaves every year, It will be a good day when I see them go.

Thanks,

Kip

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but your not doing the trees yourself are you? And as far as the leaves, rake them fro your mom. Those trees, if in good health, are specimens at that size. Shame to see trees go because of laziness.

If your repsonse is to not be lazy and rake the leaves you may want to think hard about what you are saying. This is no easy task.

No, I am not cutting the tree's down my self however I will be processing the firewood myself.

My main question is what to do with the large sections? I am calling a local mill in the morning to see what options I have.

Thanks for the response's. I will post some pics of them and when they are gone.

I bet you could get a landscape co. in there for pretty short money to do a fall cleanup if its that big a deal? I rake yards with leaves and sticks everyday of my life. As do most guys on here, its part of our job.

As I stated above any repuatable tree co. should have a log truck and be able to get the butt sections off the property for you, included in the price.

OR if your helllbent on turning them into firewood cut it into rounds, then quarter them and split them as was said before. But you'll need something bigger than the two small Stihl you have. 36" Oak is no joke and will give many a pro saw a run for its money. You'll obviously need a bigger bar for this as well.

Last edited:
Hey I'm 57 too, and I have 90' trees 10' from the house. O gosh, Leaves are such hard work--not! Paying high power bills in the summer due to heat and no shade, now that is hard! I once knew a weightlifter who lived with his mom. he got tired of raking, so he had the oaks cut. 2 weeks later their AC blew.

Are you ready to buy your mom an air conditioner?

What do you need firewood in Charleston for? It's hot down there!

Do your mom a real favor and find an arborist who knows how to prune those oaks to lessen risk and litter. It is not hard. :)

Cutting trees down because of falling leaves is about the most ridiculus reason I ever hear for tree removal. I usually point all around the neighborhood and ask "what are you going to do about those leaves that blow over here in the wind?" Buy a blower and deal with the leaves once a year, a lot cheaper in the long run.

I own:

6 in Jinma Chipper
Stihl MS 270 and MS 210

Thanks,

Kip

I guess i can understand where you are coming from.

But with technology and innovation of today...those trees might be able to say with little work for you and your mother.

DR makes attachment that goes on riding lawn mowers...collects up everything into a big trailer barrel in the back...so it mulches them up collects them in the back.

Then as i have recently started learning about (on this site)...is root pruning.

When your mother decides to sell the house...the Oaks, are going to increase the value alot.

My girlfriend just the other day was reading in her home and garden magazine...one of those and how properly pruned trees can increase the value by 20%

Oaks of the size your talking about...in todays urban forestry i think might be even more.

Just my two sense.

Canyon.

P.s.
The few bucks she would spend on a ridding lawnmower and the DR catcher is prolly still cheaper then the removal of these trees. (ok maybe not cheaper...but close). If your mother is not in condition to ride the mower...there is always landscaping companies, or the neighbor kid down the street.

Thanks for your responses however the decision is already made that the tree's are coming down. My mom cathces enough grief from the neighbors about here leaves blowing in to their yard and she is ready for easier maintenance.

Thanks for your responses.

IMO cutting trees down because they produce too many leaves is like throwing a baby out the window because he fills too many diapers.

Good luck with the removals...... don't get hurt!

:)

You will probably not get a mill to take the logs, as stated above.

Rent a PTO splitter to run off your Kubota.

There will be a lot of volume, if they are close together, you may want to have the trees taken down one or two at a time. Especially if you are taking small wood.

Check out the Chainsaw Buddy, Bailey's has it for the cheapest, theoufh you can get it special order from Northern.

Likely the value of her house is going to go down.

Maybe she should sell now before it's devalued by the tree removal?

Its gonna go way down, i wish i kept the article my girlfriend found.

But your correct its your trees and thats the way it is. So best of luck with it be safe.

Second JPS...about a pto splitter i have seen those in action they are awesome if you have a tractor to run them which you do.

Still hard to see gorgeous Oaks go down.

Rather than raking the leaves consider using a mulching mower. I run my mulching mower in leaves so deep at my camp that sometimes you can't even see the mower. A few passes and they are gone, and it helps the soil as well.

I doubt the oaks are hurting your mom's house. I'd leave 'em if it were me. You can check with a mill if you want, but don't be surprised if they are not interested. Even if they were to take them, there's not much money in four trees.

If you do cut them, the 270 should handle most of the limbs, but you'll have the bar buried a lot trying to buck up the trunks. It will cut them up, but be prepared to be there for a while.

Stay safe!

Latest posts

Back