Big Oak Tree's that need to go

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a Realtor I must say that all of you that are talking about Valuein those trees YOU ARE DEAD ON! I deal with people everyday that buy houses because of that beautiful tree in the yard. I also make sure they bring in an Arborist if they ever make one mention to their love of a tree in a house they are interested in buying. After all we can rebuild a house in 3 months (I was going to say two weeks as the standing contractors joke, but) but it will take 20 years to get that tree back.

Now, As a Contractor: I hope this is just about everywhere, but haven't heard anyone mention about local zoning laws. In many areas we can not just cut a tree that is over 10" in diameter without a permit from the Conservation Dept. That requires an application as to why the tree must come down.

And Finally, As a Property Manager: First, most everyone I know NEVER stays in the house after retirement, but if you/she decided to, Simple hiring a property manager (like you see at condos and town homes) would alleviate all the problems and LEAVES will be the least of them. She will have routine maintenance issues, gutter cleaning (trees or not) landscaping, plumbing, electric, roof repair and maintenance, and on and on. Just about everyone I know that buys a condo or town home do so for this one reason. Someone else takes care of all of this.

4800.00. Cut tree's down, haul off all debris, leave firewood, stack in back yard, rake entire yard, blow leaves off of roof and grind stumps.

$4800?!? How much just for leaf removal? If they charge $100 for it, you could get the leaves done for 48 years for what you are paying to remove the trees. Think about it. Unless of course there is another reason, like the dreaded tree-falling-on-my-house (TFOMH) disorder. I've seen a lot of that in my area. Hell if I was your neighbor I'd pay you to leave the trees, or help rake, whatever. I bought my house partly because of the beautiful trees surrounding it. The guy on one side of me had all of his large maples taken out, and I fear that others might do the same.

You really do crack me up TREE CO !!! :clap: I will take pleasure in removing your doubt...

BTW I have large rounds for sale and ten cord of wood split so far if anyone is intersted !!!! :greenchainsaw:

You really do crack me up TREE CO !!! :clap: I will take pleasure in removing your doubt...

BTW I have large rounds for sale and ten cord of wood split so far if anyone is intersted !!!! :greenchainsaw:

What a waste! I hope that house sits on the market for a LONG time!

I thought you had a splitter. First you're too lazy to rake leaves, and now your too lazy to move the rounds over to the splitter? You really take the cake.

And please post before and after pics. Just one of each even.

Post a picture of the 10 cords of split wood and the remaining larger rounds while your doing it. Those 4 trees must have been good 'uns to produce that much firewood.

Lets see where do we start??

TREE CO, here are a few i have on my memory stick just to please your curiosity.

BOSTON BULL, Who said the house was going on the market? and thanks for you opinion it seems to be the norm.

RB_IN_VA, I do have a splitter and have split all that I want right now, plus why split the rest when someone will pay for the rounds? The ten cords have been sold to a wholesaler here are some of whats left.

These are just some pics I had on my memory stick. I will post more by the weekend i think. :cheers:

Lets see where do we start??

TREE CO, here are a few i have on my memory stick just to please your curiosity.

BOSTON BULL, Who said the house was going on the market? and thanks for you opinion it seems to be the norm.

RB_IN_VA, I do have a splitter and have split all that I want right now, plus why split the rest when someone will pay for the rounds? The ten cords have been sold to a wholesaler here are some of whats left.

These are just some pics I had on my memory stick. I will post more by the weekend i think. :cheers:

That house will be on the market someday.

Its a shame it looks like, and I could be wrong, someone cared for those trees before you killed them by being lazy.

I hope you enjoy your wood, its a crying shme what you did,and hy you did it.

You thought your leaves were a PITA, wait till you get your cooling bill this summer! Thse trees were built in A/C!!!

but now it will be so hot in the summer, the branches were 25 feet up the tree i could see the house fine, you could have got a leave vac for less than the removals and you would have been fine

HA HA this has become comical... We Wanted the trees down, we paid a good price to have a great job done and we are happy. If you dont like it too bad if, if you think I'm nuts well maybe I am !!! Just a little... For anyone who was interested there are no mills around here taking oak. They all say there is no money in it because of something to do with South America and a supply down there.

This is a great forum and I have learned many things, however when I finish taking down the tree's at my house I am not going to say a word about it here. Last thing I need is another, your home is going to loose value if you take something away from it that is cracking the foundation, not letting the sun get in to dry out the ground and craking up your driveway !!!

I think tree's are a beautiful thing, just not on my land !!!

Kip

cracking the foundation, not letting the sun get in to dry out the ground and craking up your driveway !!!

I think tree's are a beautiful thing, just not on my land !!!

Kip
NIMBY just hit its nadir. :censored:

Re paranoia about cracking, how many arborists practice root pruning, to manage that fear, and remove that alibi from the arborphobe's arsenal? Today I pruned this baldcypress root 8' from the stem, but have pruned much larger rots much closer.

NIMBY just hit its nadir. :censored:

Re paranoia about cracking, how many arborists practice root pruning, to manage that fear, and remove that alibi from the arborphobe's arsenal? Today I pruned this baldcypress root 8' from the stem, but have pruned much larger rots much closer.

Yes! And root blockers can be easily installed to guarantee roots do not grow into the foundation.

KIPPER

If they werent awesome specimen trees we wouldnt be as upset.

well I guess you'll pay less in taxes cause your prop value just dropped A LOT

I am not sure if this is the right place but I will try anyway.

My mom has four large (36 in diameter at base) ok trees in her yard, three of them at each corner of her house. They appear to be about 50 to 60 feet tall.

We had one guy come out and look at taking them down and he said there is at least 12 cord of wood in just the limbs.

My question is what to do with the large sections? I will want the limb's for fire wood and am debating whether to try to spit the large sections or contact a mill to see wha their interest's would be.

Any thoughts?

TIA

The above Original Post was posted on 12/6/2007 Yet the pictures of the trees clearly show many leaves still in the canopy. Your leaves don't drop until January????:monkey:
attachment.php

You sold the firewood to a wholesaler? That wood isn't any good until next season! What kind of wholesaler buys GREEN wood? There is enough of that for free!

Last edited:
Funny that Kipper is talking about trying to burn Green Wood that was cut 8 months ago in another thread. Hmmm, wonder if it is the same tree?
12-25-2007, 09:01 PM #2
asb151

What exacly do you mean by "not all the way seasoned". How long since the oak was cut?

Winston Churchill

asb151
View Public Profile
Send a private message to asb151
Find More Posts by asb151
Add asb151 to Your Buddy List

12-25-2007, 09:15 PM #3
kipper

It was cut about 8 months ago and spilt about 2 months ago. As soon as I open the door it seems to ge the oxygen needed. I just put a fatwood stick in there and it burned nice.

Back