Big Oak Tree's that need to go

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
another thought

Here's what I do with leave's. Mulch.............I own a lawn, not tree service and I have customers asking all the time :Aren't you going to rake before you mow? I say "Nope" I use grasshopper equipment fitted with Oregon Gator Magnum blades and let me tell ya nothin comes out that deck that doens't look like confedy. Or if all else failed bag it. I'm not a tree hugger and I just cut down one similiar to your's away from my house about 60ft. Why? Cause it was in my damn way and was outta place to the rest. It grew small stringy branches down to the ground and I kept catching my head on it. It knock's my hat off, I knock it down, that's the rule in my yard. I already had too many trees out there. I do believe maintance if you have the equipment, but not of us do. I also think big tree's are great as long as they can't fall during a storm into the house and do severe damage. What I mean by severe is people getting hurt possibly killed. I won't risk my life or my wife's or my kids lives on some damn tree. Tree's grow back!!! What you found here is arborits. They get paid to cut tree's and like any job you hate to do it for free at home that's why your getting so much resistance. If there boss told them to cut the tree. Bygod they'd cut the damn tree. By the way I only cut trophy trees. I don't like to waste time making firewood. The bigger the better.

I agree Mulching can be done and has been done. I own a 44 in Dixie Chopper and a 52 in Woods Mow'n Machine. I have mulched for people quite a bit and when it comes to my mom's yard she wanted them gone, I wanted the wood and we did it. My mom wants a garden in her back yard and its a little hard to do that with no direct sun. She wants a clean yard year round.

cmetalbend.... That is sad to see wood like that get cut up and mulched. There are a lot of board feet in that tree.

How rotten was it?

cmetalbend.... That is sad to see wood like that get cut up and mulched. There are a lot of board feet in that tree.

How rotten was it?

Apparentley you missed somthing. The only thing mentioned getting mulched is the leaves. The wood would be processed into firewood. Sorry if you missunderstood.

I think by board feet, he meant lumber. Looked like a nice solid log that you cut up. Whether or not there's a market for it, that's another issue. These days, unfortunately, there's more market in firewood than there is in sawlogs.

I know when I was living in Virginia, I felt like crying (not literally) some days, seeing us send what would be veneer quality logs up here, through the chipper or cut up into firewood. They finally did start to sell logs through a log broker, but still, a lot of wood got "wasted", and waste is just a matter of perspective.

I dont know Seer, sounds like trees are pests!! wants a clean yard year round.......whatta shame, cut em down for the sake of not wanting to have to do a cleanup work!!

Not that Im a tree hugger or enviromentally proper in all I do but I was reading today that blacktop in summer(mostly) puts off Carbon gases along with other detrimental gases, All this talk about going green & we`re polluting at an alarming rate, climate change & all, & the one thing no one really makes a whole lot of mention about is TREES.

for the sake of building a new home or business(lets not renovate) we purchase a wooded lot remove all but a few trees & the ones we do leave usually end up dying!! we remove them because of laziness(want a clean yard) she probably doesnt mind the dog taking a dump in it though!! we are removing that which can save our enviroment because of what we want!! whatta shame remove what is good to build & produce that which destroys.

LXT................

How rotten was it?

Rotten, not much but did you notice the burn marks. Little old lady actually set it on fire, tried to burn it down. After that failed, somone gave her my number cause I sell firewood in the area. I can't tell you what kind of tree it was, but I can tell you it was different. It cut like butter by chainsaw. The Splitting on the other hand was a big and I mean BIG pain in the azz. My splitter is no slouch with 16hp and a 5 inch ram but this was difficult. the peices were exploding more than splitting. I think, could be wrong, it was a damn elm. Frozen for atleast a week. I had to straighten the flighting on my splitters beam afterwards. Here'a another tree I busted up 3 years ago. Hedge, the biggest I'd ever seen until recently,(Next years firewood). What is in the picture is actually only 1/4 of the trunk. It had gotten so big it fell over and was continuing to grow horizontally into a farmers feild. Another charity deal. I really wanted to mount over my drive as an arch. But it was to big to move, without a skidder.

SOrry for the misunderstanding on the mulch. I know elm is a real pia. The best thing I use it for is cut into rounds and used as a stand to get heavy equipment up off the ground. We are using 36" wide 36" tall rounds right now in the shop to hold up our skid sprayer for repairs. Other than that I wouldnt keep it for anything.

For some reason I thought it was oak, and what would make someone burn it down? You have to wonder if this would be a good case for the Darwin awards.

Maybe she should have tried to blow it up like some others I have seen on the internet. LOL

It just makes me think back to when I worked in an internet call center a few years back. I had a call from a woman in North Carolina who couldnt get on the internet so I was trouble shooting her problem. She kept telling the computer wouldnt turn on so I was trouble shooting the issue. I told to follow the power cord from the back of the computer to the socket to make sure it was plugged. After about twenty minutes of this she said she was going to get a flash light to look behind the computer. She said it was plugged in and I was stumped. Finally I asked her why she needed the flashlight and she said the power was out from a HURRICANE. Even thought she had no power, the computer plugged into a POWERSTRIP and thought it would create its own power. I told her if she invented something new I would buy.

Some people just make no sense whatsoever.

SOrry for the misunderstanding on the mulch. I know elm is a real pia. The best thing I use it for is cut into rounds and used as a stand to get heavy equipment up off the ground. We are using 36" wide 36" tall rounds right now in the shop to hold up our skid sprayer for repairs. Other than that I wouldnt keep it for anything.

For some reason I thought it was oak, and what would make someone burn it down? You have to wonder if this would be a good case for the Darwin awards.

Maybe she should have tried to blow it up like some others I have seen on the internet. LOL

It just makes me think back to when I worked in an internet call center a few years back. I had a call from a woman in North Carolina who couldnt get on the internet so I was trouble shooting her problem. She kept telling the computer wouldnt turn on so I was trouble shooting the issue. I told to follow the power cord from the back of the computer to the socket to make sure it was plugged. After about twenty minutes of this she said she was going to get a flash light to look behind the computer. She said it was plugged in and I was stumped. Finally I asked her why she needed the flashlight and she said the power was out from a HURRICANE. Even thought she had no power, the computer plugged into a POWERSTRIP and thought it would create its own power. I told her if she invented something new I would buy.

Some people just make no sense whatsoever.

The deal was we had alot of ice that year and of course that tree broke up high. Limb came down, took out the power line and the homeowner was responsable for the repair. Because it was after the eletric meter. Having little to no income, she took matter's into her own hands. You gotta love the "Do it yourselfers". I'm gonna get some pics up of This years "Project Wood" later before I get too far. I cut a limb off it last year, just to let it know "I'm coming for it". That one limb will make almost a cord, if not. The only bad thing about these tree's is they are always hard to get at. This one is right in the corner of two barb wire fences under a power line. Worse yet this corner is divided off by a creek 5 foot wide and 3-4 deep. Let the good times roll.

Some people just make no sense whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

That is truly precious and should be cherished for all eternity. Oh they make sense allright; to themselves.

Ive gotta add to this one cant help it. Im from the south NC to be exact and yes unfortunately we have idiots here just like anywhere in the US. Taking the trees down because of leaves is just stupidity. But it is his choice and I dont see where it has anything to do with North vs South there are stupid people everywhere you have to watch out for them. Just happy nobody got hurt in the process at least he had enough sense to let the tree company cut the wood up because it would have been a damn shame to see him cut his leg off trying.

Thanks for your responses however the decision is already made that the tree's are coming down. My mom cathces enough grief from the neighbors about here leaves blowing in to their yard and she is ready for easier maintenance.

Thanks for your responses.

What a waste!:angry:

even oak pallet logs are going to be worth more money than firewood.[/QUOTE]

Not aroundhere, not undesirable logs

$4800?!? How much just for leaf removal? If they charge $100 for it,

I have a lot of big oaks in my yard,i'd love to find some fool that would charge 100 buckfor leaf clean up let alone limbs and twigs.

I'll keep em tho, mime won't come down

Lets see where do we start??

TREE CO, here are a few i have on my memory stick just to please your curiosity.

BOSTON BULL, Who said the house was going on the market? and thanks for you opinion it seems to be the norm.

RB_IN_VA, I do have a splitter and have split all that I want right now, plus why split the rest when someone will pay for the rounds? The ten cords have been sold to a wholesaler here are some of whats left.

These are just some pics I had on my memory stick. I will post more by the weekend i think. :cheers:

WOW what a giant yard,I can see that would take weeks to rake leaves!

I haven't checked this in quite a while. Kipper, I'm glad to see that you got those big oaks down. I'll have to admit that they were pretty big and close to the house. If they would have come down in a storm, they could have crushed you in your momma's basement where you apparently live. Nice move, house looks terrible now, you probably lost about $50k or more in property value, Einstein.

Back