Big oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hickahollar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey all. Heavy winds and possibly a tornado took down a lot of trees in my area yesterday. I'm going to have a lot of firewood I hope this year here is one I cut down today that heavy winds took down about a 28 inch limb.

Attachments

• 20210510_134500.jpg
    20210510_134500.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 84
Back in 2009 we had a similar event near me. I was able to buy a new MS660 with a 36” bar. I had the dealer install the factory dual port muffler and I changed the control bolt and piston in the oil pump to the high output version. It’s been a great saw for situations like you face, you don’t need them everyday but they make life easier when you do. I understand if you don’t want to buy one, there might be a rental place near you to rent a big saw for a day or however long you need. Perhaps you can find a used saw, but that’s a crap shoot at best. Good luck and be safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cut it high because I didn't want to tear up a tree that it would've fell on. I completely missed tat tree.hit lots of smaller ones though. Ms362 25inch bar 40inches where I cut I had enough bar. Plus I was tired after cleaning up the branch that fell I didn't want to bend over because my back was hurting. Lazy or getting older I dunno. I have my limits. I got 2 truck loads of firewood from the branch that fell. Plus I was stove up from 2 previous trees just glad I had help removing this one.

Looks like white oak. Nice! I need some of that for my milling projects.
Yeah it's a white oak. It's at my friend's house. He is letting me keep most of it as firewood but he is wanting the trunk cut so he can repair the trailer that was hit by the branch that a storm took off. That said I'll still get 3 or more chords of wood from it and he is keeping the trunk. I've got to go get the wood already cut into rounds. I just need to bring my spitter so I can split it and load it up. I have a full day of wood to split here at my house Before I can go over there and get more. It not the best firewood but it's free and it burns nice just doesn't make the coals like red oak.

I actually prefer white oak over red. For me, red oak has always taken a LOT longer to season, and doesn't seem to burn as well. I normally burn Hickory, so I always have something I can throw in to get some good coals :)

+1 on the 066/660 comment above. I've got an 064 that I originally purchased (used) for the sole purpose of dealing with a 5' pin oak that was in the yard. I've since figured out that with a 28" bar, it makes short work of noodling large rounds into something I can pick up. Much easier than having to run the splitter vertical and having to man handle large rounds like that into position. The noodles make great fire starter, and great mulch in the garden also :) If mine trashed a piston tomorrow, I wouldn't hesitate to go buy a used big saw from the classified section on here.

Well after looking it up there are 7 species of white oak. The 2 that most closely resemble this one that I cut is actually called white oak. It could be a post oak but the leaves look more like the "white oak variety quercus alba" of the white oak species. I suppose it could be a hybrid of the post oak and quercus alba. It's not on my property so I cant just go find some dried leaves to verify 100% but from memory

Well I zoomed in on the first photo and it looks more like a post oak ha guess I should of looked at the picture instead of what memory served.

Back