Big Poplar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffTheTreeGuy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good morning,

I did an estimate for removing 5 very large Tulip Poplar trees. My question is, what is the best way to go about selling the trees to a mill? If anyone has any experience with this I would love to hear about the process. Also, how did you handle the money from the trees? Did you give it to the homeowner, keep it, split it?

Thank you. Be safe!

First you have to find a mill, which there is more then likely one somewhere near you

Then and i can't stress this enough, Call them and get their specs, lengths diameters etc, as well as what they are paying and most importantly if they accept wood from your type of outfit. Every mill is different, and all have slightly different specs. Hopefully there will be more then 1 mill you can call and get the best price.

As for the money, there are a plethora of ways to distribute or bid that job. That said, I wouldn't hold your breath on the timber money being a boon of any sort, So it really depends on how much you expect to make, vs how much work. You also have to figure out trucking, etc

What i've seen a lot of local tree services around here do, is charge for removal and cleanup as they would a normal tree job, then call the log truck (me) and give the owner all the timber money after trucking, trucking comes out of the load. Depending on the size of the project, and the quality of the timber, sometimes the owner comes out a little on top, sometimes not. Either way the tree service still makes their money and everyone involved is happy.

If it where a proper logging project, you can pay a set rate per 1000bf, by percentage, or a flat rate; i.e. $4000 for an acre of timber. Or a mix of the 3.

No reputable mill I deal with will accept dooryard wood. Far to great a risk of unseen foreign material .
Metal detectors are cheap...

Pretty much every mill around here has some sort of metal detection, some automated some just a hand held detector, doesn't matter where the wood comes from metal finds its way in.

that and we had a run of bunny huggers spiking trees.

Metal detectors are cheap...

Pretty much every mill around here has some sort of metal detection, some automated some just a hand held detector, doesn't matter where the wood comes from metal finds its way in.

that and we had a run of bunny huggers spiking trees.
Hey I like Bunnies!

Attachments

• 201906191131364455210.jpg
    201906191131364455210.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 17
Back