Big Spikes! 7901

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow, those are huge...the saw will be noticeably more grabby i bet. big spikes are for big trees with thick bark, where standard spikes just skip over thick gnarly bark.

Yeah i was worried about that, i was hoping these didn't protrude any further than the factory ones. i like the look and design of these better but function and safety first. Ill try em out and see.

Just had to have these spikes for my 7901 but they are huge!! Do they make bucking harder or is it something a guy will get used to?View attachment 813863
I'm an east coast kinda guy and so I haven't grown up on big felling/bucking dogs, but I have some now (and a full wrap). I found there was a bit of a learning curve.

One thing I found is that you'll get some erratic behaviour if you start the cut with the dogs in the wood -- it's too easy to force the saw to bite too much. It works better if you start the cut with the dogs out and then ease them in. It doesn't seem to be talked about much but I've noticed (i.e. YouTube) that this seems to be what the Pacific Northwest types do -- maybe its second nature if you've always used a long bar and big dawgs.

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) en utilisant Tapatalk

I'm an east coast kinda guy and so I haven't grown up on big felling/bucking dogs, but I have some now (and a full wrap). I found there was a bit of a learning curve.

One thing I found is that you'll get some erratic behaviour if you start the cut with the dogs in the wood -- it's too easy to force the saw to bite too much. It works better if you start the cut with the dogs out and then ease them in. It doesn't seem to be talked about much but I've noticed (i.e. YouTube) that this seems to be what the Pacific Northwest types do -- maybe its second nature if you've always used a long bar and big dawgs.

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) en utilisant Tapatalk

Thank you for the input! that makes sense for sure, im in Montana and we have a few bigger tress but not like Canada or the west coast. i run a 25 inch bar now but maybe a 28 would be better with those spikes. I would love the full wrap handle on this saw soon.

I think that saw looks really cool.

But functionally i dont like how it takes away from your bar length. They seem a bit excessive. The large husky spikes are the biggest i will ever need or want.

BUT . If YOU LIKE THEM.... then you can learn to run with them and it will be just fine. Just be easy as you will put more force on the bar very easy causing the saw to struggle.

Bottom line, Don’t worry if others dont like it. Its your saw[emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji41]

That smurf is sexy

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I think that saw looks really cool.

But functionally i dont like how it takes away from your bar length. They seem a bit excessive. The large husky spikes are the biggest i will ever need or want.

BUT . If YOU LIKE THEM.... then you can learn to run with them and it will be just fine. Just be easy as you will put more force on the bar very easy causing the saw to struggle.

Bottom line, Don’t worry if others dont like it. Its your saw[emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji41]

That smurf is sexy

My fav spikes also are the large husky style as well but i cant find a set like them for my "Dolkita".... I really don't care what most think about these spike, yes they are big tho... LOL . I had no idea how awesome that saw was before I started cutting with it!! It was almost new when I got it almost a year ago. Best $325 bucks I have spent in while!

My fav spikes also are the large husky style as well but i cant find a set like them for my "Dolkita".... I really don't care what most think about these spike, yes they are big tho... LOL . I had no idea how awesome that saw was before I started cutting with it!! It was almost new when I got it almost a year ago. Best $325 bucks I have spent in while!

One of my biggest regrets is not picking one of these up when I saw a really good deal on it..

Enjoy it. It and its brother the 7900 are underrated.

Well, if nothing else- you just shortened your bar by say an inch to inch and a half.
Did they not come with the chain catcher that mounts up in the bottom hole?

The saw does have a factory chain catch. Not a roller style tho. And yes the spikes take away from bar length but the factory spikes are a 1/4 inch less.

Latest posts

Back