BIG Sycamore Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
See photos. First three show the tree today, the last three show the tree before branch removal and the damage at the top. This sycamore tree is approx. 7' dbh (yes, I measured it). It is famous in Wheeling WV and known as the "Witness Tree" as it's age is estimated at 300 years. If correct, it would have seen the history of the area develop since the early 1700s. I question the age a little but that is a different matter. Many years (70-80?) ago, the tree was struck by lightning and the top was blown out. Since then it grew new HUGE branches just below the damage and a couple years ago the owners decided it was a hazard and began removing the huge branches. I agree it was a hazard - they were approx. 24" diameter and spread some 30' out from the trunk and attached to damaged wood. When they got to the trunk area below where the branches were attached, they found the damaged area (and maybe farther down) had been filled with concrete in the past. It appeared that they decided to leave the trunk alone and they even built a little roof over it - I guess to keep rain out and reduce further decay. Over the past year, many new branches have sprouted from the trunk as expected. I thought they had decided to leave it as is. Today I noticed they had laid about 24" of gravel around the base and had run a skid steere all around the drip zone. There is also a pile of top soil nearby - I'm guessing to either cover the gravel or build up the area past the gravel. This has always been a low area that held water after heavy rains. Everything I've learned on this site since 2006 tells me the tree probably won't last more than a couple years now. Am I wrong?

20191020_161021_1571602376042_resized.jpg 20191020_161050_1571602375019_resized.jpg 20191020_161123_1571602372973_resized.jpg DSC_0557.JPG DSC_0561.JPG DSC_0564.JPG

They are really, really tough trees...but that is asking a lot to take away the entire canopy then heavily disturb the roots. What is going on top of the gravel?

The tree reminds me on a sycamore in my grandfather's yard...it was probably a 5' stump that they cut back all the branches all the way each year. By the end of the growing season, it would look just like those current pictures you posted, then he'd cut it back and it would be just the stump with no branches. I supposed that was effectively pollarding, but certainly not "by the book" and I can about promise you it was not intentional! (but maybe his parents brought that over form Italy?)

Oh...the location is noteworthy - maybe it is a regional thing: Martins Ferry.

I haven't been past in probably 20 years

The original intent was to take it clear down but they hit the old concrete. I'm guessing they're going to add topsoil and make a sitting area to enjoy the carving. A lot of people were really upset they cut it back like that given the history but as said, definitely had some hazards. That tree probably saw the first settlers in the area as well as native Americans. The biggest Sycamore in the state is only a few miles away.

They are really, really tough trees...but that is asking a lot to take away the entire canopy then heavily disturb the roots. What is going on top of the gravel?

The tree reminds me on a sycamore in my grandfather's yard...it was probably a 5' stump that they cut back all the branches all the way each year. By the end of the growing season, it would look just like those current pictures you posted, then he'd cut it back and it would be just the stump with no branches. I supposed that was effectively pollarding, but certainly not "by the book" and I can about promise you it was not intentional! (but maybe his parents brought that over form Italy?)

Oh...the location is noteworthy - maybe it is a regional thing: Martins Ferry.

I haven't been past in probably 20 years
Coppicing! Willows seem to respond good to that and no surprise a sycamore would too. They can last a really long time. I’ve been reading “Sprouts” on and off which discusses a lot about both coppicing and pollarding.

Coppicing! Willows seem to respond good to that and no surprise a sycamore would too. They can last a really long time. I’ve been reading “Sprouts” on and off which discusses a lot about both coppicing and pollarding.

That is NOT Coppicing NOR is it pollarding. Cut it to the ground and allow it to re sprout...not a pruning technique. Or in another instance...start while the tree is young on a large maturing tree then make internodal cuts at desired height, do it annually developing a callus knob (pollard head). Remove sprouts yearly from the head.

Was nothing mentioned about the fact it has a roof on it?

Back