Big tree blowdown

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

80cj

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am removing a big tree that was blown down during a storm. It is for a good friend that doesn't have the money to hire a professional. (that would be option A) It is a willow oak that is ~40" at the trunk. I have been cutting logs to manageable lengths and using a small tractor with front end loader to load them onto a trailer and haul them away. I have removed everything but ~20' of the trunk. (see the 3rd pic below) I am planning on using my chainsaw mill to cut slabs that would be manageable (in shorter lengths).

When I was removing the last chunk, I noticed that the tree wants to stand up with little help from the loader. (the loader is rated for 1500 lbs and wasn’t straining at all, so I would guess it was less than 1000 lbs of force) From the weight tables, I am estimating that the tree weighs ~500 lbs/ft. that means the remaining trunk weighs ~10k lbs.

I am not sure if I should try to let/help the tree stand up or if I should sever the trunk from the root ball. I think that severing it is preferable, but have seen the videos of that in my searches and am a bit apprehensive. Especially since the base of the trunk is below ground level, so I can't make an undercut to keep it from splintering and possibly pulling the trunk with the root ball when it goes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The 3 pics show what i'm dealing with. The person in the pics is 5'6". The 3rd pic shows what is left of the trunk now.

thanks
shawn

Attachments

• IMG_8816.jpg
    IMG_8816.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_8818.jpg
    IMG_8818.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 54593636543__AB99F969-959C-4304-B3F3-A7122867313C.jpeg
    54593636543__AB99F969-959C-4304-B3F3-A7122867313C.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 61
If it is not straining it lift it up enough to put a prop under it to keep saw out of dirt but when you cut it be ready to exit the area quickly if need be! You know the hazard so it is at your risk!

I'd probably cut it a few feet up from the roots. Yes...that does cut into the best part of the log that you want to saw up, but it will be a lot safer. If you plunge in and cut up and down to within about 3" of the top and bottom, then go up the log about 3" and cut up from the bottom and down from the top about 5" (completely bypass the first cut) then push (or pull) on the top end of the log it will break off at your cut and you'll be completely out of the way if it sits up or rolls.

Thanks for the advice. In order to undercut anywhere on the first 10' of trunk, I'll have to dig the dirt away, which got me thinking some more. My tractor has a backhoe attachment. Would digging up the roots on both sides of the trunk & removing soil from from the root ball help to minimize the force to stand up the tree?

Thanks
Shawn

Thanks for the advice. In order to undercut anywhere on the first 10' of trunk, I'll have to dig the dirt away, which got me thinking some more. My tractor has a backhoe attachment. Would digging up the roots on both sides of the trunk & removing soil from from the root ball help to minimize the force to stand up the tree?

Thanks
Shawn
If you can use the backhoe to drag dirt and roots off the root ball you certainly would reduce the weight that will try to pull the tree up. You are going to want to get as much dirt as possible off the root ball anyway, unless you want to use the intact root ball as fill for the hole, and it should be easier to work it with the backhoe while everything is solidly on the ground. That would also allow you to get dirt in the hole to block the root ball and discourage it from standing upright. Be sure to compact that dirt against the remaining roots.

Back