Bigger bar for Mcculloch 895 saw for alaskan mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golddredgergold

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I curretly have a 34" bar on my old Mac 895. Would like to step up to a 72" bar for it. But would be happy even with 48". Not anything on ebay right now. It would be a 404 chain size. Can I convert/ adapt a Husky or Stihl bar to work on the Mac? What alternatives are there? Open to ideas or if you have a bar that will work I would be interested. Thanks!

I have an old 52" Mac bar, but I think it was for half inch chain. I also think it came off an old two man saw. I might have a helper handle for it. I'll get it out tomorrow and copy any numbers on it, maybe you can cross reference it, or someone on the chainsaw forum can ID it. It's in darn nice shape. It's old enough it has the flying geese logo on it, Joe.

I have an old 52" Mac bar, but I think it was for half inch chain. I also think it came off an old two man saw. I might have a helper handle for it. I'll get it out tomorrow and copy any numbers on it, maybe you can cross reference it, or someone on the chainsaw forum can ID it. It's in darn nice shape. It's old enough it has the flying geese logo on it, Joe.
Awesome. Let me know. I would appreciate it. Thanks

Dredger, I have the bar slid in the brackets holding up a shelf. I slid a fridge in next to the shelf, now I can't get the bar out. I'm gonna be busy the next couple days, I'll try and get it out this weekend. If I forget send me a private message, Joe.

I looked up the 895 and it did not show what pattern bar it takes. I put pics of this bar on the chainsaw forum a few years ago and someone said it was for a two man saw. I don't know how to cross reference it, maybe it will have numbers on it, Joe.

I looked up the 895 and it did not show what pattern bar it takes. I put pics of this bar on the chainsaw forum a few years ago and someone said it was for a two man saw. I don't know how to cross reference it, maybe it will have numbers on it, Joe.
I will see if I can find the pics. I did a little looking around and it should bolt up. Seems they offered this saw with that bar and a dual power head model as well. Only the 895 will do this with the gear reduction. The direct drive models wont be a direct bolt on but this 895 uses the big studs and slot. When you can dig it out that would be great. I will pm you my number.

Hey Jason, I just realized you may have been looking for my old pics, they were in the old Photobucket stuff that got lost. I think I can roll the fridge out enough to clear the bar, Joe.

The 895 uses the same bar as a 125. Cannon bars for the Stihl 088/090 Will work on these saws with Cannons spacers and you will likely have to redrill the oil holes and possibly slot the adjuster holes. I have Cannon 60 & 72 inch bars on my two 895's and one was for a large Homelite the other for an 090 Stihl. If your 895 is strong, you will likely want to lower the takers a bit.

The 895 uses the same bar as a 125. Cannon bars for the Stihl 088/090 Will work on these saws with Cannons spacers and you will likely have to redrill the oil holes and possibly slot the adjuster holes. I have Cannon 60 & 72 inch bars on my two 895's and one was for a large Homelite the other for an 090 Stihl. If your 895 is strong, you will likely want to lower the takers a bit.

So still sorting out a bar here. Will a Husky 3120 395 style bar fit with a little work you think? And did Mac make a 3/8 sprocket for the 895? I found some 1/2" sprockets and of course I have .404 on it now. But seems most husky bar chain combos are 3/8"

So still sorting out a bar here. Will a Husky 3120 395 style bar fit with a little work you think? And did Mac make a 3/8 sprocket for the 895? I found some 1/2" sprockets and of course I have .404 on it now. But seems most husky bar chain combos are 3/8"
I don't know what is needed to adapt a Husky bar to an old Mac. Likely oil hole, adjuster hole, and slot modification would be necessary. 3/8 is not right for an 895 and I doubt a sprocket would be easy to come by, if they were even made. Just running .404 seems too small on mine. I'd want to go 1/2 if I had it to do again. With .404 and a 60" bar buried the rakers need to be taken down, WAY DOWN. The 895 is after all, not a firewood saw, it's a big old growth killer for the most part. I'm not convinced that they're good for much else.

I don't know what is needed to adapt a Husky bar to an old Mac. Likely oil hole, adjuster hole, and slot modification would be necessary. 3/8 is not right for an 895 and I doubt a sprocket would be easy to come by, if they were even made. Just running .404 seems too small on mine. I'd want to go 1/2 if I had it to do again. With .404 and a 60" bar buried the rakers need to be taken down, WAY DOWN. The 895 is after all, not a firewood saw, it's a big old growth killer for the most part. I'm not convinced that they're good for much else.

Great news and thanks for the info. Sawfun! Right after I posted this I found a deal on a 60" cannon 090 stihl bar! I am super stoked. So now just need to fit it up and getsomechain. Any chance you can get a picture of your stihl bar mount at the saw? I am sure its not going to be hard to fit up. I will pull my 895 off the mill tomorrow and scope things out. That's my new bar on the left and a 25" bar for size comparison on the right.20180202_213830.jpg

Great news and thanks for the info. Sawfun! Right after I posted this I found a deal on a 60" cannon 090 stihl bar! I am super stoked. So now just need to fit it up and getsomechain. Any chance you can get a picture of your stihl bar mount at the saw? I am sure its not going to be hard to fit up. I will pull my 895 off the mill tomorrow and scope things out. That's my new bar on the left and a 25" bar for size comparison on the right.View attachment 630115
That's a Really nice old Cannon and will serve you well. I have a 72" just like it I bought from a member here a few years back. It's on an 895 on and will be going on a 797g soon I hope. Pics of one of my 895's with 60" bar.
20170225_160852.jpg 20170225_160839.jpg

Great pics. I got mine mounted today. Made spacers on the lathe and drilled oil holes thats all it needed. Bolted it up. Now ready to get some chain. Going to buy a 25ft roll. I will post some pictures of the bar on the saw when I get home.

Latest posts

Back