billet aluminum dual port muffler off ebay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herman the German

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Has anyone purchased a billet aluminum dual port muffler off of eBay. I really like the look of the one I see on there and it also has the screens on both outlet ports. Seems to be pretty durable and looks thick ect. It's like around $50 which is a bit high on price especially if I don't end up liking it. s-l400.jpg I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this muffler and if so how do you like it? Also I know this doesn't matter but does the aluminum turn colors from heat after saw is ran a bit.. I know aluminum and steel have differences in heat retention ect and aluminum don't always show "heat colors" ect. Thanks for answering my silly questions. They may not mean anything to anyone else but they do to me so any help would be appreciated..

Imo the outlets seem a bit small but it is pretty nice looking, my concern main concern would be oil staining when any gets on it and cooks off.

Imo the outlets seem a bit small but it is pretty nice looking, my concern main concern would be oil staining when any gets on it and cooks off.
Yeah I was checking out those outlet pipes. They seem small but I wonder if that's just how the picture made it look ya know how that can happen. But I could ask the seller the dimensions and see if any complaints have been made regarding stain ects

Yeah I was checking out those outlet pipes. They seem small but I wonder if that's just how the picture made it look ya know how that can happen. But I could ask the seller the dimensions and see if any complaints have been made regarding stain ects

Don't think of that as staining; it is "seasoning" like well loved cast iron cookware gets after awhile! :) Seriously though are these supposed to be better for performance or sound or what is their advantage over stock ones? Are they still safe as in spark arresting ability? Thanks.

Yeah if ya look at the other pictures that the seller has posted it does show screens on both ports. I just like the clean look and think it would accent my saw a bit and clean up the appearance ect. And it doesn't really make them any louder maybe just a little,

I sorta modified my stock muffler front cap by drilling 2 holes and welded in 2 pipes. I welded up the stock outlet on the main muffler body and just have the 2 pipes. So in doing so it doesn't seem any louder, thats why before I said it doesn't make it any louder if any

I take the stock muffler, drill a few holes from the inlet to the outlet, tune the carb, call it a day. It's generally a bit louder, but it's simple and free. Saws always seem happier when their exhaust gets less restricted!

Saws are made to get more ruggedly handsome as they age. If you want to impress folks with its appearance, drop a tree on it and post some photos. :D

I still don't understand the benefit/s to using the billet version? BTW, I have also heard that at higher altitudes you can't really drill the exhaust that way without running into other issues. Is that true? Thanks.

You are seriously shopping for a muffler to make your saw prettier???

Better performance or quieter...sure, but who cares what it looks like.

The altitude where I live is 3252 ft. Above sea level, I have zero problems. I like to think of exhaust like this.... any of my mcculloch saws like my pro mac 10-10 pretty much doesn't have a muffler..... It does,.. it's there, however it doesn't have even the slightest baffle and all that they put on em from the factory was a little plate with vents with 2 screw holes that held the screen and mildly directed the exhaust flow. Every one I have ever heard running was the loudest freaking thing ever. Mine actually, physically hurts something in my ears.. I have actual pain in my ears if I don't wear plugs ect. So there is zero baffles and that thing runs super good. Then if ya wanna go deeper. Check out the mufflers on the mcculloch 250 some have a good baffled muffler but several ive seen and the one I have only has a cap with nothing inside as a muffler. Those cap like mufflers were Also on some of the old pioneer saws, I have one of those too. So I guess what I'm saying is it just don't hurt a chainsaw to have a baffle less muffler. It my on some newer electronic saws not sure yet, time will have to tell. I don't think it does though cause I've seen a lot of guys putting on those west coast saw "bark box" mufflers on thier ms661 that has m tronic

You are seriously shopping for a muffler to make your saw prettier???

Better performance or quieter...sure, but who cares what it looks like.
Not what I was really going for no, but if it will dress it up a bit in the process so be it.. not a bad thing at all. Call it what ya will. Pretty, sexy, hot hehehe. It don't matter I just want a bit of noise really and a bit more performance . It does matter as every one I've ever poked a hole in and welded a small pipe in place had to be re tuned (carb) and afterwards run a good bit better and it definitely wasn't psychological

I take the stock muffler, drill a few holes from the inlet to the outlet, tune the carb, call it a day. It's generally a bit louder, but it's simple and free. Saws always seem happier when their exhaust gets less restricted!

Saws are made to get more ruggedly handsome as they age. If you want to impress folks with its appearance, drop a tree on it and post some photos. :D
I already did everything you mentioned except take pics, the saw had been crushed and it was fairly bad yet it didn't damage the crankcase bad enough to just part it out. I got it free after it was crushed, they thought it was done for but it still had compression and I invested in it. I spent right at $189. For all the parts to fix. Looks brand new

the outlets look cheezy and likely to fall out, wondering about warpage after hard use too
Well I did read a review on that item.. someone finally posted a review, there weren't any until now but it said the inlets kept vibrating loose and he'd have to keep tightening or something . So I'm out

Latest posts

Back