biomass style splitter...anyone with 1st hand experience?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbercreek

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hi all.
So biomass style splitter. Such as abs.
How does it work in real world firewood?
Will the thing handle knotty oak?
My buddy runs a tree co and drops a ton of ugly wood on me too big for my processor.
My thought was to build a large, powerful auto return biomass splitter that just cycled on its own without input and i just fed it with my mini ex.
But im talking 30" stroke and minimum 36" wide throat doing the typical 4x4 mailbox wedge and using whatever comes out in my owb.
Have a massive 8" piston to build it.
Ive just never seen one run and no idea if it will handle new englands knotty specimens.
No sense building if it wont work.
What can you fellas tell me?

Do you have a pic? Never heard of a bio mass splitter? Is it the fuel type?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi all.
So biomass style splitter. Such as abs.
How does it work in real world firewood?
Will the thing handle knotty oak?
My buddy runs a tree co and drops a ton of ugly wood on me too big for my processor.
My thought was to build a large, powerful auto return biomass splitter that just cycled on its own without input and i just fed it with my mini ex.
But im talking 30" stroke and minimum 36" wide throat doing the typical 4x4 mailbox wedge and using whatever comes out in my owb.
Have a massive 8" piston to build it.
Ive just never seen one run and no idea if it will handle new englands knotty specimens.
No sense building if it wont work.
What can you fellas tell me?
Automated Biomass ABS now owns Timberwolf.
Marathon, NY.
They have a good website showing all available splitters and processors.

Expect a heap of trash wood. But otherwise I like 'em but can't afford one and am waiting for the obvious (to me at least) automation improvements to the designs. Here's a local manufacturer of good machines.
Note the hold mechanism on the resplits. Something other brands would do well to copy.

Ya. Thats the problem.
These tree guys want u to take everything, and well not everything can be processed.
In that raptor video, im fairly certain thats pine hes splitting. Heart looks like it as does the bark.

I didnt think it was possible to send knarly hardwood thru it. Much less unsupervised.
Back to the drawing board i guess.
Looking more and more like a screw splitter on the auger, on the excavator for ease of piece chasing.
Maybe i should just buy a tub grinder.
(Rolleyes)

Maybe i should just buy a tub grinder.
Weeeellll...not yet.
There may come a time where 20 or 40' containers are dumped on forestry landings, or industrial lots easy for tree services to get to. Anything from tree service bits or forestry whole trees are feed to a tub grinder and shot into a hopper that feeds the combined kiln and briquette process in the container. Out the other end comes boxes of briquettes or bags of pellets, on shipping pallets ready for shipping to stockists.

Back