birch tree problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ

Reaction score
I have a clump of white birch trees (4 trees in one clump) I noticed that one of the trees looks as if it has stopped blooming. The leaves are very, very tiny whereas the other three trees are healthy and have normal-sized leaves. Also, if I shake the trees, small bugs (look like little flies of somesort) will fall out, however the leaves on do not appear to be eaten or damaged. Is my tree dying? Or just a late bloomer? We are in Northern Wisconsin. Thanks!

Lots of bugs like birch trees. Generally, leaf miners and aphids are the most obvious. I think what you may have happening is a "survival of the fittest" thing between the four stems. They are all competing with each other for light and water and nutrients and growing space. Don't be surprised (or terribly) upset if one dies.

In the bush, some species like jack pine will, after a fire, produce 50,000 seedlings per hectare. I have been in stands with 20,000 trees 25' tall per hectare. However, through the competative process I mentioned above, at maturity (i.e. harvest :D) only about 700-1,200 will remain. Birch are similar, though not found is pure stands as is jack pine.

Latest posts

Back