Black Bear Sausages

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have had a Black Bear problem for over a month. Making regular visits, showing no fear and threatening the dog. This young (2yo?) under 200lbs is now no longer a problem. I got a clean shot at him 2 days ago, and have been busy processing the meat, and preserving the hide. I am just about done. Steaks and Roasts are all wrapped in cling wrap and game paper and are now in the freezer. Really really good meat. I had a very small sampling of the Tenderloin and it was very similar to beef, but far more juicy then actual beef. Last night I had a small sample from the hams and it was good. This morning I fried up 2 patties, one just ground bear, the other with some roasted garlic seasoning. Both good, but the roasted garlic won out. I have added some more fat, and mixed up 10lbs for making sausage later today.

Attachments

• CIMG4372 (1024x768).jpg
    CIMG4372 (1024x768).jpg
    557.5 KB · Views: 11
There is about 1/2 a pound that the sausage stuffer cannot complete. Patties! I just had one for lunch. Best sausage meat I have ever had, and I have made and eaten A LOT of sausages over the last few years.

Last night I slow cooked on the grill the ribs and one of the forelegs and shoulder. I am usually not a rib eater, such a mess for so little meat, but dayum these are incredible. I peeled most of it off and it is going into some homemade chili and will be heating up in the sauce pan on the wood stove.

This bear just keeps on providing. Neighbor volunteered to render the fat into lard. I kept some of the fat for my own purposes, but what I gave to her produced 6 and a half pints of lard. Pastries, pan frying, leather softening, etc this is some fine looking and smelling lard. Even the bits of meat that were trimmed off the fat or captured in the cheese cloth strainer, were pan fried and is very similar to bacon. Very tasty on my fried potatoes this morning.

Good one! I kind of thought (with no bear eating expertise) that you might need to add some fat to your sausages from pork or something as game meat can be very lean. But it sounds like this is not the case with a well fed bear. Looks tasty and well worth your butchering efforts. Bear now certainly no problem when he's sitting on the dinner plate.

Good one! I kind of thought (with no bear eating expertise) that you might need to add some fat to your sausages from pork or something as game meat can be very lean. But it sounds like this is not the case with a well fed bear. Looks tasty and well worth your butchering efforts. Bear now certainly no problem when he's sitting on the dinner plate.

Suet (beef fat) is commonly added to Venison. I don't care for it, and avoid it if I can. This past summer a few of us (myself and neighbors) picked up a moose off the highway and added some suet (20%) and it taste a bit greasy to me. Fat also help keep the meat together for making burgers. I did add a little bear fat to these sausages, mostly to help keep the meat together, but I think it also added to the taste.

Fat is flavour, suet...well that stuff belongs on the shelf at the store for someone else to buy. A lot of the fat will render out of a burger or sausage but it will keep things moist, tender & tasty.

There are bears visiting my land. Soon we need a open bear season. The papa is 400#. The cub that visits inbetween is two years old, my dog hates him.

Back