black goo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONSEREDFAN6069

Wheeler McDealer
Reaction score
I recently picked up a Carlton sporcket tip bar from a site sponsor. It seem's to have a rubbery coating on it. checked the sprocket nose and it was dry as a bone. Greased it put it on the saw with the chain, tried to pull the chain around by hand and seem'd kinda tight but could stihl lift the chain outa the rail about an inch. Checked and is .050 chain and .050 bar. Ran the saw not in wood yet off and on for about a minute and it formed this black goo inside the clutch cover slung all over the top side of the cover. My question finally, is this the coating they put on it mixed with the grease and bar oil? only gave it a shot of grease and I checked in my oil tank and the oil is definately red. Getting easier to move chain by hand also.
The goo has a burnt odour too it also. Figured maybe not enuff oil but it leaves a small puddle after run and left on the bench. Any one else have a problem like this? and I tried the Total bar it came with and a few other's and
all ok. Think I answered my own question. lol but some input wood be helpfull.

Back