ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Black History Month

wampum

wampum

Addicted to ArboristSite
Staff member
I mean, if racism is such a big issue in America ( I dont know if it really is or not, I have never been there and only ever met 1 or 2 Americans in person) you would think they wouldnt invent these things that segregate and alienate Americans from each other.
Sure celebrate your differences but ffs dont section out a part of the year just for one group of people.
It's like in Northern Ireland how the different groups can only fly their flags at certain times of the year. How the fcuk does that help? Let a tri colour and union jack fly side by side.

It would be good if somehow we all could go back to the golden rule. Which is treat others the way you would like to be treated. I agree with you we invent to many things to make everyone think of racism. I blame that on Hollywood and stupid politicians. Do not get me wrong there are hard core racists, but most regular Americans just get along.

TheDarkLordChinChin

TheDarkLordChinChin

My name Borat, I like you
Dont even get me started in the LGBT acceptance stuff lol. It has gotten so bad in parts of Europe (namely the UK) that lots of gays have gone on protest marches against it because the actions of these clowns makes them look bad.
Back in the day the LGBT stuff used to just be "leave us alone to do what we want behind closed doors, we are just like you".
Now its "YOU have to change to accommodate us, we are a SEPARATE group and can do what we want wherever we want and you cant criticize us ACCEPT OUR PRONOUNS"

lone wolf

lone wolf

MS 200T King
Dont even get me started in the LGBT acceptance stuff lol. It has gotten so bad in parts of Europe (namely the UK) that lots of gays have gone on protest marches against it because the actions of these clowns makes them look bad.
Back in the day the LGBT stuff used to just be "leave us alone to do what we want behind closed doors, we are just like you".
Now its "YOU have to change to accommodate us, we are a SEPARATE group and can do what we want wherever we want and you cant criticize us ACCEPT OUR PRONOUNS"
Go ahead get started!

Tin-knocker

Tin-knocker

ArboristSite Operative
Good point.

I guess after so many years of slavery and oppression, some thought that it would be a good idea to help bolster them.

At the same time I don't mind the idea of Mother's Day, Father's Day, and other such things where we honor/celebrate certain groups of people. Does Black History Month cross the line? If so, why? ILL-a-noise just passed a law requiring the teaching of gay history. That one certainly crosses the line. Why teach history from the perspective of who you have sex with??? Really? I can understand something that celebrates a certain group of people (although I would still disagree with this one), but to require it in the schools?? Idiotic.
I actually pulled my kids from public school because of this. They are currently in private Christian school. Pretty expensive but very much worth it. I think second grade is too early to be learning about the lgbt stuff. I’m not the most religious guy but you can’t argue that the morals taught are very good to live by.

stillhunter

stillhunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
It would be good if somehow we all could go back to the golden rule. Which is treat others the way you would like to be treated. I agree with you we invent to many things to make everyone think of racism. I blame that on Hollywood and stupid politicians. Do not get me wrong there are hard core racists, but most regular Americans just get along.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this!

toymaker

toymaker

ArboristSite Lurker
My view point on black history month...or any other select group of citizens wanting to celebrate "their" history.

I have no issue with any group celebrating meritous individuals who also resemble/idenitify as or are otherwise included in their group.

I do take issue with those who somehow feel "their" history is greater than anyone elses. Have certain groups had to fight for acceptance/inclusion in just about every society throughout history...absolutely. This didnt start in the good ole USA nor did it only start in the mid 20th century.

Celebrate those who advocated for citozens rights and faced opposition for it. Give kids a history lesson that shows them someone growing up like them CAN have a positive impact and remind people just because the majority thinks a certain wsy now...it does not mean they are correct or that things cant be changed.

But dont give me this crap that somehow "your" history is greater than anyone elses, or that we should only single out someone of your choosing to profile in history. Simple fact is for about 200 years we tried that in America history...and we agreed it was a failure. Teaching kids about our founding fathers...while ignoring lesser names and current history makers. Going out and changing the narrative by teaching ONLY black (or whatever group of your choosing) history just promotes the same backward thinking.

MLK was a great man and both a genius strategist and a genius. He also didnt start the fight for civil rights or end inequality in society. Simple fact is, as long as humans rule the earth - we will have some degree of inequality. Its our nature...and best we can do is fight to lessen it.

I also think theres hope. 30 years ago when I was in middle school American history for example, we learned how America fought and won against the "evil" communist in Viet Nam...we learned of things like Gulf of Tonkin...but we never learned of the real stories of war or someone like Roy Benavidez. Fast forward 30 years and we are finally putting this stuff in textbooks. Changes like that came about because someone took pride in both their heritage. Someone said "Hey..rather than glorifying all we did "right", how about we spotlight how badly we effected some minority communities in a war.

Black history month CAN be an opportunity for some liberal snowflake agenda pushing...it also can bring about honesty and truthfulness is telling of history. We've accomplished more HONESTY in history in the last 50 years here in the US than the first few hundred...to me thats a net positive, no matter what label you give it.

Just my take, from a privliged middle aged white hetrosexual man. Take it for what it is.

BC WetCoast

BC WetCoast

Addicted to ArboristSite
Blacks want to celebrate their history. No surprise here, so do other ethnic groups, indigenous, latin, oriental etc all do.

Media thinks by some targetted programming it can sell more advertising. No shock here either, after all there is shark week.

unclemoustache

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
I think the Black history month was started as a good thing. They were coming out of a long history of being oppressed and fighting for equality. But now all the laws on the books are inclusive to race, so really, there is no need to push the issue any more.

But now this kind of stuff is going on:

Skip to :25

That's exactly opposite of what the blacks were trying to do 50 years ago - they wanted integration, and now the black leftists want to destroy all that which was fought for.

lone wolf

lone wolf

MS 200T King
Big Red Oaks 4 me

Big Red Oaks 4 me

Fun with flying wood chips
JEB Stuart Elementary school in Richmond, Va. is now named Barack Obama Elementary. This is one BHM “add-on”. But Richmond and Petersburg have gone to chit anyway. People getting shot on a daily basis.

Big Red Oaks 4 me

Big Red Oaks 4 me

The News represses all the black crime and blows the white crime way out of proportion there are black serial killers none of you heard of that were black that killed almost a hundred woman.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/oct/07/samuel-little-serial-killer-fbi-murders

OK now if you ain't from Cali how many here heard of this?
I know. Any city that has a lot of blacks also has a lot of violent crime. The cop shows on tv show the truth, if nothing else. I’m surprised that they haven’t been accused of being racist. :laugh:

TheDarkLordChinChin

TheDarkLordChinChin

My name Borat, I like you
I actually did hear about that guy.
But yes, when a minority commits a crime it gets the minimal amount of coverage, especially if it is racially affiliated.
Just look at the situation in the UK with muslim grooming gangs targeting mostly white underage girls. They dont even call them rape gangs but grooming gangs.

Big Red Oaks 4 me

Big Red Oaks 4 me

But yes, when a minority commits a crime it gets the minimal amount of coverage, especially if it is racially affiliated.
Just look at the situation in the UK with muslim grooming gangs targeting mostly white underage girls. They dont even call them rape gangs but grooming gangs.
Yes. Media tends to ignore that!

lone wolf

lone wolf

MS 200T King
Your in Ireland right?