Black Locust for firewood???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tapio

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey,
I recently cut down 7 decent size black locust trees. Is that wood good for firewood??? I have a large amount of it and don't want it to go to waste if it is useful....

also...

Just thought I'd mention that maple and northern red oak tend to be the preferred firewood in my neck of the woods (Massachusetts)....

Excellent firewood. Dries fast, but burns good when green too. Split it now and it will be good by end of dec. Be careful not to overfire your stove with it. IT BURNS VERY HOT!

Black Locust after curing for a year will be better than either of those mentioned.

Harry K
Harry knows what he is talking about. :rock:

I'm surprised locust hasn't been grown and harvested as a fuel wood. It grows fast and has amazing density. I know of no hardwood that can match it in these two respects.

Just thought I'd mention that maple and northern red oak tend to be the preferred firewood in my neck of the woods (Massachusetts)....

I think the locust you cut would be the prefered firewood, but the maple and oak are more abundant. Can't go wrong with locust, unless you use it on too warm of a day. That is your mid winter/ over night heat source.

Good stuff, easy to split by hand when young/green. The drier it gets the harder. Very high flavinoid content which leads to its ability to not rot. Makes fenceposts that last for decades.

Burns hot, good coaling properties, just can be difficult to get lit.

Stuff is really common here in Western PA, on fencerows, roadsides and in homeowners yards.

Not so common in forest areas.
I take all I can get, next to Osage Orange it's one of the best. I have 5 cords of it in my pile.

CT

Great for a wood stove, maybe not for a fireplace, it "sparks" a good bit when burning, it might pop some coals out onto your floor if using a fireplace. But it splits pretty easy, dries fast and burns very hot!

Something not mentioned. It is eeevvviiilll for the splinters you can get from it. They seem to be barbed, like to go straight in not leaving enough to get ahold of and seem to have some sort of a chemical tht makes them sting.

Wear gloves.

Harry K

Something not mentioned. It is eeevvviiilll for the splinters you can get from it. They seem to be barbed, like to go straight in not leaving enough to get ahold of and seem to have some sort of a chemical tht makes them sting.

Wear gloves.

Harry K

:agree2:

Good stuff, easy to split by hand when young/green. The drier it gets the harder. Very high flavinoid content which leads to its ability to not rot. Makes fenceposts that last for decades.

Burns hot, good coaling properties, just can be difficult to get lit.

Stuff is really common here in Western PA, on fencerows, roadsides and in homeowners yards.

Not so common in forest areas.
I take all I can get, next to Osage Orange it's one of the best. I have 5 cords of it in my pile.

CT
I would disagree on the coaling, at least with my stove (Lopi Patriot). I burn ash, elm, cherry, apple, beech, yellow birch and even some boxelder if I have to cut it down). All of these leave something in the stove to start a fire with (well, maybe not boxelder) in the morning after 8 hours, but not locust. The charcoal is fluffy and just continues to burn until nothing is left but cold ash. With other wood the charcoal tends to go out and can be revived with a propane torch, or at least stays warm, but not locust. I agree, it makes a hot fire, but not one that lasts. And yes, it is my stove that is partly to blame, but I have never had trouble with other wood.

Back