Black Oak - dying?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antarctica

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've got a big black oak that is not looking well in my front yard. This tree is about 3-3.5 feet across, and sits about 10 feet from the Chesapeake Bay (Maryland). I was going to take some of the dead limbs out of it, but if its done for, I'd rather just take out the whole tree.

Basically, its upper canopy seems to be dying. Any ideas why? Is this tree salvageable?

Attachments

• IMG-6780.JPG
    IMG-6780.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG-6783.JPG
    IMG-6783.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG-6784.JPG
    IMG-6784.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG-6785.JPG
    IMG-6785.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
For reference - here's a healthy black oak on the back side of the house. All pictures were taken this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG-6779.JPG
    IMG-6779.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 6
FYI -

My understanding is that the tree likely has bacterial leaf scorch. Some searching indicates that treatment is injection of oxytetracyclene each spring. Are there some injection type spikes that I could use to inject at the base to do this? I see some plastic things online but it seems like it would make sense to pump this from a sprayer under pressure.

We don't get bacterial leaf scorch in my area. I would call someone local to look at that. Usually when the top dies back it's permanent but there may be some treatment options like insecticides and growth regulators that can help the tree live as long as possible.

Back