black stains in oak, toxic?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnflatbed

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Usually staining is caused by some type of metal or mineral, does any of you know if its toxic to animals? Why I ask is I just had a load of oak dropped off earlier today and my pup has been licking the black staining on the cut end of a log to the point his tongue is stained.

Usually staining is caused by some type of metal or mineral, does any of you know if its toxic to animals? Why I ask is I just had a load of oak dropped off earlier today and my pup has been licking the black staining on the cut end of a log to the point his tongue is stained.
Believe some of that is starch oxidation.

IDK but I wouldn't let the pup keep doing it.

He will Be will be fine. Dogs are designed to eat sticks[emoji23]. I think mine can live off of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was not happy when I shoveled this pile of junk into the stove.

Other day him and my lab ate most of a pail of sawdust. We use it in the shop to absorb oil, diesel, etc.

I happened to walk by and they were chomping down like it was a pail of bacon.

20190309_202520.jpg

Choppy choppy,

I bet your dogs are wood thieves like mine. Her favorite thing is when I go out to split. She will literally wait for me to turn my back and she’ll try and sneak one of the splits away to chew on.[emoji23][emoji23]

Here is my best friend
c109bbb70f7a28b842f4f2f70cef0ff8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back