black walnut tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

win2000

Reaction score
Hi there. My husband and I bought a 55 acres place in northeast pa last winter.
We have a trout stream running through the property .

About 100 feet from the stream we have a large black walnut tree. A huge branch fell one day, and we noticed that the center of the log had a round dark circle .

The tree gave a ton of walnuts this fall which the red tailed squirrels were mighty glad to get.

I wonder if this tree is dying, and what can I do about it??

Would a professional arborist or a logger come to the property just for one tree???

It's about 60 feet + high. Should we harvest the tree???

Thanks for any info. Kathy Kobishyn

Kathy,
The large black circle is the normal coloration unless you are reffering to a hollow in the branch. "Should it be harvested?" I would possiblily consider having it looked at by a competent Professional. It is unlikily that someone would remove the tree just for the wood. You may have a sawmill nearby that will use Black Walnut. Where exactly is Lakewood?

Hi Eric. The branch wasn't hollow, just had that large dark circle in the center of the branch.

Lakewood is in northeast pa. near lake como. about 20 minutes from hancock new york.

Glad to hear you think it isnt anything serious.

Now that I have your ear, when is the best time to plant apple trees?? We just cleared a three acres filed near the stream that we planted with winter wheat grass. there are loads of bamboos shoots coming up already( none since the frost) and I thought I would lant a bunch of apple trees there along with wildflowers. Is the early spring best for planting?? ( you can see I am a novice at this)

Thanks. Kathy K.

Kathy,
There might be one or two here who know a little about apple trees, but if you look under the 'other links' button at the top of the page there is an apple grower who would know a ton of stuff about apples.

As for the Walnut tree, I assume it is a focal point?
What is your risk exposure? Are there many people who are frequently under the tree? If not, then just enjoy it. Having it looked at by a competent arborist isn't a bad idea if you are willing to spend a few bucks to prolong the tree's health.

Planting Apple Trees

The best time to plant apple trees is in the spring, probably about mid-April in your area. You will want to consider putting sleeves around the bases of the trees to prevent damage from mice, and be sure they are light-colored, to help prevent damage from the sun over-warming them after a cold night.

Kathy,
You're not too far from me; I live in Pike County.

I would recommend that you get rid of the "bamboo" before planting anything. I'm guessing that your "bamboo" is Japanese Knot Weed. The stuff is invasive and difficult to very control. Since the area is recently cleared this would be the time to control the Knot weed.

HI Eric. thanks for the advice about the bamboo. I just don't know how to get rid of it without using a chemical like roundup, I guess I could dig each rhizome out, but that would probably put me in the nut house.

Pike county really isn't far away at all. It sure is pretty country up there. If you have any ideas on how I can rid myself of the bamboo, let me know. thanks. Kathy

Kathy,
First you need to properly identify the weed. If it is Japanese Knot Weed will need to wait until just before flowering. Then cut it and spray it as it starts to sprout again. Round-up would be preffered unless it is real close to the stream.

Latest posts

Back