Blaze King catalyst

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
Reaction score
How does a person know when to replace the catalyst? I'm on year 8. Burn around 2.5-3 cords a winter.

I found replacements for $200, they offer steel or ceramic. One better than the other?

Back when I ran a catalyst in a wood stove I had a new one on hand.

I would use the new one for a few days and see if I could tell any difference in operation.

If I saw no difference in operation I would put the new one back in the box and use the old one.

I think this technique would work for you, too. You will have to buy a new cat some day anyway.

It saves you from realizing that your cat has worn out and having to order and wait for shipping at a critical wood heating time and also gives one a piece of mind about their old cats.

As far as to which type is better: I don't know.

Have you tried cleaning it? fairly sure you can do a boil in vinegar to get contaminants off and extend its useful life. Not sure on the detail, try contacting Baze King, or got to h e a r t h .com and ask in the blaze king thread.

If your emitting smoke from the chimney when normally you wouldn’t be or if your getting more creosote buildup when you clean the chimney, it’s time to change it. If your using more wood than usual, it’s time to change it.

Steel cats positives over ceramic are they are more durable and light off quicker. Downsides are they drop out of the active zone quicker and are easier to plug with fly ash because the holes where the smoke passes through are tightly spaced together. I’ve used both and ended up going back to ceramic.

I don't have a blaze king but I have used both ceramic and steel in my stove.(Woodstock soapstone) I like the ceramic better and have used two ceramic and one steel in the last 23 years. I tried the steel last time and just ordered a new ceramic. If you don't over fire the stove I think the ceramic is fine. Never had a problem with one myself, only that they wear out. I notice that the top of stove temp. dose not get as hot as it starts to fail and more smoke from chimney when converter is engaged. On my stove if I lay on the floor I can look up in and see if it is working. bright cherry-red

al-k where do you get your ceramic cat from for your woodstock stove? Do you have the fireview?? Can't get ceramic anymore for fireview, just the S.S one. Thanks.

Have you tried cleaning it? fairly sure you can do a boil in vinegar to get contaminants off and extend its useful life. Not sure on the detail, try contacting Baze King, or got to h e a r t h .com and ask in the blaze king thread.

Yes a few years ago. It was clean, barely turned the vinegar tan.

On my stove if I lay on the floor I can look up in and see if it is working. bright cherry-red

The BK cat will usually only run cherry red at the begging of a load or with lots of air dialed in (for me). Otherwise a dark cat is normal and fine. I checked with Chris (BKVP) over on the previously mentioned site some time ago on that condition. Great to hear your on year 8. Guess if your concerned grab a new one to have on hand. Believe I'd run the original until it ran smokey! Or it crumbles/falls apart.

al-k where do you get your ceramic cat from for your woodstock stove? Do you have the fireview?? Can't get ceramic anymore for fireview, just the S.S one. Thanks.
yes I have the fireview, I just ordered one from Woodstock. I did find one online once from a manufacturer but can't remember who it was.

Do you have the 201 Fireview or 205 Fireview? Just talk to Woodstock, there's no ceramic cat for 205, just 201.

Do you have the 201 Fireview or 205 Fireview? Just talk to Woodstock, there's no ceramic cat for 205, just 201.
I did order the wrong one, the link above is a place that has ceramic. I have the 205

The BK cat will usually only run cherry red at the begging of a load or with lots of air dialed in (for me). Otherwise a dark cat is normal and fine. I checked with Chris (BKVP) over on the previously mentioned site some time ago on that condition. Great to hear your on year 8. Guess if your concerned grab a new one to have on hand. Believe I'd run the original until it ran smokey! Or it crumbles/falls apart.

This is what I was looking at:
Midwest Hearth Wood Stove Catalytic Combustor Replacement Catalyst Blaze King Princess (4" x 10.6" x 2" Ceramic) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0754MT2NM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_zph3BbNTKTH5W

Latest posts

Back