blew up a steering box........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PWB

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
slightly off topic, shepard sterring box on a 1960 champion road grader. Have had trouble for years , traced it to a poor pump. Should deadhead the steering at about 1100 pounds, couldn't get it past about 300 on a good day. worked okay hot, couldn't steer it cold.
Mounted another pump I had on the shelf, deadhead pressure one way was about 900 lbs, the other about 1500. Worked great in the yard.
Went to clean up a laneway for a neighbor, got almost there , turned left and split the casting on the box for about 6 inches!! Come to find out it's a common problem.
Took the driveshaft off the pump and drove it home on manual. Can't run it that way, WAAY too hard on the arms.
Was on the phone, box is scarce as hen's teeth. 300 a ton scrap a few years ago cleaned up a lot parts.
Going to attempt to put the steering off a combine on, with the actuator and wheel off a 300 massey, and whatever cylinder I can find that that will steer it. don't know if I need a bypass ahead of the actuator to control pressures? Steering pump on the grader is completly separate from the rest of the hydralics, that is, it shares a resovoir but runs it's own pump. anybody know what kind of pressure the massey actuator will handle? I'm assuming it's a flow through unit, but I don't want to run so much volume through it that I wreck it.
Also not sure how big a cylinder I need. THe newer graders at work are set up this way, and I'll check them on Monday to see what they run. I think there's a pair of 2" cylinders on the one I usually run.

Anybody done something similar? Any Advice?

Go to YTMag.com, then click on the Massey forum for your question. There was a discussion forum on the same YT site dealing with Cranes, graders, etc, but I don't see it now. If you don't find it, ask on any one of the forums where it is now. :)

Thanks, I'll have a look.
Found out the massey unit (Char Lynn) will run at 2500 pounds, haven't found out volume yet. Did some math on how much push I get out of how big a cylinder, but don't know how much I need. Looks like I can use the pump I have with the char lynn controller, just need a flow control in front of it.

Good news, this works, got it together yesterday. 1 2.5" cylinder 10" long, char lynn box off a 300 massey combine, and a flow control valve, some plumbing, and it will turn the wheels lock to lock at an idle. May have to change the flow control for one with an adjustable pressure relief (I can make the relief valve sing, and think it's going at 1500 lbs) but everything works. If anyone needs to tackle something similar, I'll post some pictures.

Back