Blow cold air towards stove...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the help guys. This small fan closer to the ground helps much more

Very quiet. On low it blows plenty of air down my hall. And I measured the hall, its 25’ long. I can feel the cool breeze on my legs standing at the opposite end of the hall.

Though hesitant at first about the price of this fan I got to say I’m very impressed at how much air it moves. On high its almost too much more than a box fan and not as loud.

Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E5WAUO/ref=emc_b_5_mob_t

1faf72ba94d12f0291f38b326b084b17.jpg
3477450490414cba7274813cc8e1990b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just my thoughts on the subject. I Know my wife claims the air coming off the floor vents feels cool. Even if a thermometer says it 90* air. Air moving across your skin just feels cool, unless is a super hot blast. With body temps being 98.6* I suspect any heated air less than that temp would feel cool. Trying to blow warm air across the area would seem to be the Best way to warm a otherwise cold room, but that breeze just plain feels cold. Sucking the cold air out of the room you dont feel, unless standing in front of the fan. Blowing the cold air toward the stove and letting it warm up as it circulates and then naturally replace the cold air that is sucked out of the cold room, you dont feel any breeze. I am planing on installing recirculating duct work in all the bedrooms when I build my new house. The duct will have their own fans connected to their own thermostats. The fans will suck air out of the rooms and dump it next to the wood stove. I think this should stop any cold breezes blowing on the occupants of those rooms and with a therostat, I can simply turn off each duct fan that isnt needed. I also think the extra ductwork and fans will help keep the house move evenly heated. I know in my current house The living and dining room can get very hot while my back bedrooms are cold. It would be nice I think to just raise the thermostat in those back bedrooms to warm them up and cool down the rest of the house at the sae time. My wood stove is in my basement, under the kitchen and dining rooms. I have one vent in the floor above the stove that lets hot air enter the living space. Its only natural that part of the house is hotter than the rest of the house. Since my bedrooms are not used that much we keep the doors shut so no heat really gets to them. Even when we open the bedroom doors, it takes a while for the rooms to heat up. Even a little forced air would make a big difference I think.

Thanks for all the help guys. This small fan closer to the ground helps much more

Very quiet. On low it blows plenty of air down my hall. And I measured the hall, its 25’ long. I can feel the cool breeze on my legs standing at the opposite end of the hall.

Though hesitant at first about the price of this fan I got to say I’m very impressed at how much air it moves. On high its almost too much more than a box fan and not as loud.

Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E5WAUO/ref=emc_b_5_mob_t

1faf72ba94d12f0291f38b326b084b17.jpg
3477450490414cba7274813cc8e1990b.jpg

I use a similar sized fan at the far end/coldest part of the house. Flat out works. Takes a few hours to get things working. I leave the fan on 24/7. Same as the stove. I just wish the fan speed could be reduced. Its a bit fast even on low for this purpose. Still works nice.

So first let me say before we put a stove in this house we liked it cold. Kept the “living space” at 62 in the winter. Our bedroom side that has the small separate furnace stayed at 58. I know. Cold. Its what we liked.

With the stove

When we were pushing the hot air towards the bedroom, if the room the furnace is in is all the way up to 78-80 degrees our bedroom would just barley reach 60 and that is when it is warm outside.... say in the high 20’s.

With this little fan now blowing cold air at floor level towards the stove the temps are a bit more evened out. Stays 74-76 max in the stove room now and we get 2-3 degrees more in the bedroom.

Im pleased.

I’ve been using this same method. Wood stove in living room, there and dining room probably 76. Two back bedrooms were cold until I saw this and started using an 8” fan on the floor to pull cold air from those bedrooms to the warmer living space. Works good, it does take a bit but heating with wood is a slower process. Water on top of the stove seems to help carry the heat as well as bring up the humidity.
It gives you some pride when you get it all clicking together and you get to enjoy the warmth!

Not that it applies to this but I piped 2 6 inch heat runs into my garage attached to an inline fan that draws the warm air at the ceiling of the basement into the garage. It has made a great improvement out there. If you wanted to get that creative you could.

I’ve been using this same method. Wood stove in living room, there and dining room probably 76. Two back bedrooms were cold until I saw this and started using an 8” fan on the floor to pull cold air from those bedrooms to the warmer living space. Works good, it does take a bit but heating with wood is a slower process. Water on top of the stove seems to help carry the heat as well as bring up the humidity.
It gives you some pride when you get it all clicking together and you get to enjoy the warmth!

Pride indeed.

Thanks for sharing sir.

Back