Blown MS290 for $50 - Is it worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freudianfloyd

Clinically Diagnosed with CAD
Reaction score
I have a chance to buy an MS290 with bar and chain for $50. In the picture it looks to be in great shape, but the guy said it needs a new piston. When I asked how he knows that, or if it was run with straight gas, he said it was run lean. To me that sounds like it could've been a leak somewhere or bad seals, or the carb was way out of adjustment.

My question is, is it worth $50 and a half hour drive each way? Especially when I don't need another saw, but love tinkering with them.

And I know I could convert it to a 390 with does have my interest piqued, especially if the cylinder can't be saved.

Thoughts? I know the 290 isn't the most popular saw on this site.

A guy just gave me this one,
Haven't checked it out yet
cea30a0cc98e5455cfb85781c3c542c5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Well I picked up for $40. It's really clean, just no compression.

Pictures coming soon. It might not be a steal, but converting it to a 390 has me intrigued.

Well I picked up for $40. It's really clean, just no compression.

Pictures coming soon. It might not be a steal, but converting it to a 390 has me intrigued.
If you want to keep it, find an oem 390 cylinder and use a cross pop up piston. Do a muffler mod and timing advance. I done this to a saw for a friend and was impressed with how it ran.

Here she is...
I know they dont get much respect, but the029, and 290 are my dads favorite saws and the ones I grew up running.
20191127_201610.jpg

If you want to keep it, find an oem 390 cylinder and use a cross pop up piston. Do a muffler mod and timing advance. I done this to a saw for a friend and was impressed with how it ran.
I'm looking at doing this as well, where can you pick up an OEM 390 cylinder?

What kind of mods? Pics?

I'm looking at doing this as well, where can you pick up an OEM 390 cylinder?

What kind of mods? Pics?

You can put a wanted ad here in the "chainsaw parts" section of the trading post or you'll have to scan Ebay.

Think it needs replaced!? Obviosuly being sarcastic. This might be a good candidate for the 390 conversion after all.

The guy said his kids were running it, and they mixed the gas, but he doesnt think they shook it up and just poured it in. Judging by the bar being purple in one spot, they probably didnt pay attention to the bar oil either.20191127_202241.jpg

I think you made a good buy. My MS290 with 16” .325 bar/chain is really a great running saw. It woke up fairly well with a muffler mod and re-tune. Not a Pro saw but really cuts runs very well. Will be interested in following if you do the 390 conversion.

I wouldn’t have too much interest in converting it myself. I had an MS310 and was underwhelmed by it, but $40 for parts seems pretty good, especially if you’ve got a use for them.

I use my 290 more then my 461. Damn fine saw. I have had a 390 piston and jug just waiting for the 290 is die. I have only had the saw for 8 years, cutting about 10 cords of wood a year, so maybe in another 10 it might be dead.

I think you made a good buy. My MS290 with 16” .325 bar/chain is really a great running saw. It woke up fairly well with a muffler mod and re-tune. Not a Pro saw but really cuts runs very well. Will be interested in following if you do the 390 conversion.
What did you do to muffler?
Pics?

Latest posts

Back