Blown MS290 for $50 - Is it worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What did you do to muffler?
Pics?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I just opened up the deflector cover some. Think I also opened it up under the screen if I remember correctly, (it’s been awhile). Then I retuned carb to richen it up. My saw was bought new about 2012 or so and came from dealer with no limiters on carb so did not have to pull them.

Attachments

• AD0EEDFE-C2D0-4734-9450-E28E8DE81CA5.jpeg
    AD0EEDFE-C2D0-4734-9450-E28E8DE81CA5.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
I just opened up the deflector cover some. Think I also opened it up under the screen if I remember correctly, (it’s been awhile). Then I retuned carb to richen it up. My saw was bought new about 2012 or so and came from dealer with no limiters on carb so did not have to pull them.
What did you do about the screen in muffler ?

What did you do about the screen in muffler ?

I put the screen back in after the mods. Seem to remember it being a fairly easy job, but blurry on the details as I have modded about 8 mufflers since this one and it was my first attempt. I’m kind of new at all this but learning much from this site.

I'd probably just get a 390 engine from huztl.net. I think the whole 390 engine will run you $70 and would run a 18-20" bar nicely.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

The 290 is unjustly criticized. It has been there most popular work horse and in stock form should run for ever.
No it's not the most powerful and if properly cared for it's a solid saw, no doubt about it.
You could part it out and get your money back no problem. I would hop it up and see what it will do with mods.

I'd probably just get a 390 engine from huztl.net. I think the whole 390 engine will run you $70 and would run a 18-20" bar nicely.

Yes, maybe, but then I may be nervous everytime I run it, it may be its last. Unless the hutzls are now a good quality part.

I took the saw apart. I believe the cylinder can be saved. I've saved worse. However, the crank has me worried a bit. Is it part of the assembly process to heat the crank main? Mine is purple but the bearing seems fine.

20191128_184604.jpg

Is this normal?

As long as there's no radial play and you inspect it carefully, it should be fine.
No, there is no play in it. I'm going to run it. The cylinder is in surprisingly good shape and only transfer is a very localized spot by the exhaust port, so i may just clean it up and put a meteor piston in it. No point in putting a bunch of money in this saw.

No, there is no play in it. I'm going to run it. The cylinder is in surprisingly good shape and only transfer is a very localized spot bu the exhaust port, so ai may just clean it up and put a meteor piston in it. No point in putting a bunch of money in this saw.
Cheap saws are the best saws. Free saws are even better. Good luck with your re-build.

Well the 290 is finished and is now a 390 with a new chain, the previous owner got every last micron of cutter used up on this saw.
20191207_202757.jpg
Time will tell if the AM cylinder and piston will hold up, but for now she seems to run great.
20191207_174612.jpg
I would like to replace the 290 badge with a 390 badge at some point. I also need to put this saw up against my dads MS290 to see if it performs like a 390 or fails miserably. All in I think I have $100 in the saw.

What did you end up getting for your a/m cylinder and piston?

What did you end up getting for your a/m cylinder and piston?

Well I bought an unidentified set off of HL Supply for $33. It turned out to be Warhawk.

I was pleasantly surprised at the finish of the cylinder and piston.
20191206_164535.jpg
20191206_164543.jpg
20191206_164554.jpg
20191206_165639.jpg

Attachments

• 20191206_165639.jpg
    20191206_165639.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
Looks pretty good! I think a lot of the import cylinders have gotten better over the past couple years.
I know Huztl cylinders had a bad reputation a couple years ago, but the ones they are making now have been looking pretty good and getting good reviews.

Update:

Took the saw to my dads to compare it to his stock MS290. Both equipped with 20" bars, and same chain, although his was used but sharp and mine was new, so I will give him that.

There was no comparison. This saw ate the wood like it meant it. His required a lot more force.

No time comparison, but the 390 just seemed to have way more power, which it should, but being a cheapy cylinder, I didnt have high expectations but I hoped it would be comparable.

With all that said, yes I know it's still not all Stihl, and I know it may not last as long as OEM parts, and I know my test wasn't scientific, but it was a good baseline test to make sure I didnt waste my time and money on a 290 that most would've passed on. Now it is a great running saw that cuts amazingly well. I'm happy with it.

On a side note, neither saw held a candle to my 034AV Super even though an MS390 has comparable specs although not a pro saw. That thing was just destroying the wood as fast as it could make contact.

Back