Blue stained pines.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always wondered why some of the paneling we used in our one-room cabin had blue staining. We like it.

WithSusan.jpg

Northside.jpg

CabinKitchen.jpg

1.jpg

I think you're looking for "Commensalism".

Also, I'm about 90% sure that the pouch fungus Cryptoporus volvatus that we all use to identify recently-dead trees is a secondary follower of the beetles, unrelated to the stain except by vector. I'm pretty sure that it's a decay fungus only and not a pathogen.
Right I follow you now. I was scratching my head for a while. Yes, it's a sapwood decay fungus and indicator of sapwood disease or sapwood decay. In the case of northern interior pine, you may not see its presence for 3 yrs or so. I do recall seeing it on interior spruce that was killed from heart rot disease as the base is full of heart rot conks, at that point you can often push the stub over. Not really much for assessing on the coast. Although WCB says I can leave certain ones on the boundries as a licensed Danger Tree Assessor (DTA) ,superiors want them cut. So you have to adhere to the highest standard. All the skills go out the window and I don't seem to observe like I would by tbe book. I would definitely attest to what would be a late onset in the dry belt regions can happen quickly in a wet belt.

We often see beetle hits along prairie margins in dry seasons where the pouch fungus follows less than a year later. Away from the prairie margins it seems to take longer. I suspect that this timing has to do more with dessication due to sun exposure than anything else.

IMG_1516.JPG

The stain can be very pretty at times. There's a patch up here where the trees have tons of colours in them like this one. When oiled the blue stain turns black.

Unfortunately you're ignoring the fact that the fungus actually weakens the wood. The grain opens and softens. It will dry rot in half the time.

Latest posts

Back