Bobcat or ASV for High-Flow Mulching Head?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you figure that track maintence on excavators is worse than a dozer? A dozer is constantly using its tracks. A excavator travels alot less and with little to no load on them,other than the machine weight. Ive had excavators with 5000 hours on them(have one right now) and ive never had to do anything with track maintence on them. I also have a D-39 dozer with 2500 hours on it that just got new sprockets and pins.

True. But I was talking about maintnenence over all.

Thanks again Catbuster for the advice.
As an "all purpose machine" I didn't mean replacing a tracked machine (for steep slopes or harsh digging), more as a yard machine, loading, pick and carry for up to 3 tonne, using a grapple for logs, augering, 2.0 cu mulch bucket etc...
Sounds like a good idea with the stump grinder on it.
I agree with you in regards to speed! You can only use the fully 35km/hr or even 15 km/hr if you are on something very flat and that's usually just bitumen!

Samson - that extra cooling package quoted at $9200 is some serious money for an upgrade!

cheers,

Cam

If i were to market this machine, I would market it to tree contractors. Perod. No tree contractors I know, myself included, like the compact wheel loaders. Not even Volvos. Why? Because even with the big lift cap, they don't have to ability to run a stumper. Your machine could do that.

Schaffer wheel loader 9330Z with mulching head

If i were to market this machine, I would market it to tree contractors. Perod. No tree contractors I know, myself included, like the compact wheel loaders. Not even Volvos. Why? Because even with the big lift cap, they don't have to ability to run a stumper. Your machine could do that.

Thanks for the tip Catbuster, its good advice!

Cheers,

Cam

Actually the plastic wheels on the ASV undercarrage hold up pretty well. It's the rubber tires on them that seem to come apart easily. I replaced the front & rear idlers, and some of the bogie wheels on mine not long ago and not one of the plastic wheels were damaged. The rubber was pretty eat up on all that I replaced though.
I know how you feel though. I felt the same way when they started using plastic on chainsaw's. :cheers:
The fact that the plastic wheels aren't the weak link dosen't change the fact that they want way too :censored: much for their parts, and that I will be replacing the ASV with another brand, when the time comes.

Andy

There are some after market parts made from aluminum that don't have any rubber wheels on them that last much longer.

There are some after market parts made from aluminum that don't have any rubber wheels on them that last much longer.

Yeah, they're made by Bair Products. If they work as good as the replacement track lugs I got from them, they'd be pretty good.
I got a deal on the OEM wheels on ebay so I went with them. I hope they're still good when I decide to get another machine. If not I'll probably upgrade to the aluminum wheels.

Andy

Yeah, they're made by Bair Products. If they work as good as the replacement track lugs I got from them, they'd be pretty good.
I got a deal on the OEM wheels on ebay so I went with them. I hope they're still good when I decide to get another machine. If not I'll probably upgrade to the aluminum wheels.

Andy

Are you talking about the white plastic bolt on lugs? I have a friend who swears by the aluminum idlers. I have never used them. I got a belly full of ASV systems several years ago.

Are you talking about the white plastic bolt on lugs? I have a friend who swears by the aluminum idlers. I have never used them. I got a belly full of ASV systems several years ago.

That's the one's, they call them "Larry Lugs" for some reason unknown to me.

I tried them out on a track I bought used. It had 26 drive lugs ripped off of it, and I got it real cheap. :laugh:
The lug's are pretty pricy, with quantity price breaks for 20 or 30 of them they're about $18 a pop. So you want to use them on a track that still has plenty of tread left. But they work good and are tough, and will resurect an otherwise junk track.
My belly's getting full of the ASV systems pretty quick. I've just got to get to the point that I can do something about it.

Andy

That's the one's, they call them "Larry Lugs" for some reason unknown to me.

I tried them out on a track I bought used. It had 26 drive lugs ripped off of it, and I got it real cheap. :laugh:
The lug's are pretty pricy, with quantity price breaks for 20 or 30 of them they're about $18 a pop. So you want to use them on a track that still has plenty of tread left. But they work good and are tough, and will resurect an otherwise junk track.
My belly's getting full of the ASV systems pretty quick. I've just got to get to the point that I can do something about it.

Andy

Yeah with the margins as tight as they are these days I understand that. The ASV is not all bad it stays on top of the ground good!

C Series Cat Machines in the Forest

All- just to switch pitch for a second...anyone got experience with the 279,289,299 C series Cat track skids in forest applications?
I know they have a new track/undercarriage system (non ASV) but I believe their high flow is only 33gpm which is one of the lowest if I am not mistaken. I know they are real comfortable but just wondering how they perform in the forest. Please advise...

All- just to switch pitch for a second...anyone got experience with the 279,289,299 C series Cat track skids in forest applications?
I know they have a new track/undercarriage system (non ASV) but I believe their high flow is only 33gpm which is one of the lowest if I am not mistaken. I know they are real comfortable but just wondering how they perform in the forest. Please advise...

KKottermann burned one up recently.
Here's the thread. http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=135487

Andy

Fecon?

Everyone here has offered valuable advice and I can't think of a better source to get real feedback. Have any of you considered the Fecon FTX100L? It is in the same size class as the ASV, and the TAK and Bobcat but it has the steel track undercarriage, puts out very good flow, operates at 5500 psi (which blows the others away!) and is a purpose duty built forestry machine that will hold up to the incredibly tough environment of every day mulching. It also does not overheat because the cooling cpacity is so much larger that they use for the mini track loaders or skid steers. They are running in the heat of AZ and at elevation in Colorado with no overheating whatsoever.
Additionally, especially in Colorado, the Fecon Bull Hog head is by fay the most durable mulcher of any maker. Fecon makes the ASV head, the Bobcat head, and the John Deere head, but only the red Fecon "Bull Hog" has the unmatched durability to stand up better than any other design. Also because you can choose from 4 different tooling options (double carbide, single carbide, stone tools, or chipper knives) you can tailor the tools to your application. Also, if you are mulching any more than brush, get the variable displacement hydraulic motor option. The productivity increase is well worth the minimal additional cost.
The FTX100L can take skid steer attachments so it has the versatility of a CTL but its main design is for mulching. It does not dump a bucket very well but other attachments operate great. What I tell people is that if more than 40% of their work is mulching then there is no better machine in this class than the FTX100L. If less than 40% of your work is mulching then a CTL may hold up and it might not be justifiable to spend the extra $ for an FTX100L.
Yes, I work for Fecon. I am very proud to say so. I truely believe we offer the best machine in this class both for dependability and productivity. I will put the FTX100L up against any CTL, skid steer, or other comparable hp machine and show you the differences first hand. I live and breath mulchers every day and I have not found a machine that compares.
If you want to take the next step up, look at the Fecon FTX148L. Look up the feedback on this site from people who have bought them. The FTX148L is an incredible machine.
I don't reply on this site just to spew Fecon mantra. I truely know that it is the best machine for the job and I am willing to prove it to any doubters. If you wish to know for certain, first hand, get in touch with me and I'll show you. :jawdrop:

Everyone here has offered valuable advice and I can't think of a better source to get real feedback. Have any of you considered the Fecon FTX100L? It is in the same size class as the ASV, and the TAK and Bobcat but it has the steel track undercarriage, puts out very good flow, operates at 5500 psi (which blows the others away!) and is a purpose duty built forestry machine that will hold up to the incredibly tough environment of every day mulching. It also does not overheat because the cooling cpacity is so much larger that they use for the mini track loaders or skid steers. They are running in the heat of AZ and at elevation in Colorado with no overheating whatsoever.
Additionally, especially in Colorado, the Fecon Bull Hog head is by fay the most durable mulcher of any maker. Fecon makes the ASV head, the Bobcat head, and the John Deere head, but only the red Fecon "Bull Hog" has the unmatched durability to stand up better than any other design. Also because you can choose from 4 different tooling options (double carbide, single carbide, stone tools, or chipper knives) you can tailor the tools to your application. Also, if you are mulching any more than brush, get the variable displacement hydraulic motor option. The productivity increase is well worth the minimal additional cost.
The FTX100L can take skid steer attachments so it has the versatility of a CTL but its main design is for mulching. It does not dump a bucket very well but other attachments operate great. What I tell people is that if more than 40% of their work is mulching then there is no better machine in this class than the FTX100L. If less than 40% of your work is mulching then a CTL may hold up and it might not be justifiable to spend the extra $ for an FTX100L.
Yes, I work for Fecon. I am very proud to say so. I truely believe we offer the best machine in this class both for dependability and productivity. I will put the FTX100L up against any CTL, skid steer, or other comparable hp machine and show you the differences first hand. I live and breath mulchers every day and I have not found a machine that compares.
If you want to take the next step up, look at the Fecon FTX148L. Look up the feedback on this site from people who have bought them. The FTX148L is an incredible machine.
I don't reply on this site just to spew Fecon mantra. I truely know that it is the best machine for the job and I am willing to prove it to any doubters. If you wish to know for certain, first hand, get in touch with me and I'll show you. :jawdrop:

Ahhh. The Fecon POSs. I wouldn't buy one. Shure, it's great, but you have to keep it running.

Ahhh. The Fecon POSs. I wouldn't buy one. Shure, it's great, but you have to keep it running.

Gotta keep anything running. It couldn't cost much more than an ASV.
I've seen (briefly) an FTX90 working, pretty slick little ride and I like the steel tracks. I'd like to spend a little time on one of the 100's if I ever get dug out of the hole I'm in now.

Andy

Hey appreciate the info...unfamiliar w/them...will have to check into them. Thanks.

Fecon

The FTX90s were good machines. The Deutz engines may not have been the best choice at the time but other than that they were great. The FTX100L is a completely different machine. It is powered by a Kubota engine and has been very reliable. There are other significant improvements over the ftx90 including 38% greater cooling capacity and the variable displacement hydraulic motor in the mulcher. Everyone I know that has an FTX100L likes it a lot! The steel tracks are so much better in the mulching environment than rubber that needs continual maintenance and replacement. The higher psi (5500) makes the mulcher really perform above its hp class. It is a comfortable and roomy cab.
I won't keep pushing but for anyone who runs or needs a machine in this hp class it is definately worth your time to have a demonstration and talk to some current FTX100L owners (probably outside of your territory). No Disappointments!

The FTX90s were good machines. The Deutz engines may not have been the best choice at the time but other than that they were great. The FTX100L is a completely different machine. It is powered by a Kubota engine and has been very reliable. There are other significant improvements over the ftx90 including 38% greater cooling capacity and the variable displacement hydraulic motor in the mulcher. Everyone I know that has an FTX100L likes it a lot! The steel tracks are so much better in the mulching environment than rubber that needs continual maintenance and replacement. The higher psi (5500) makes the mulcher really perform above its hp class. It is a comfortable and roomy cab.
I won't keep pushing but for anyone who runs or needs a machine in this hp class it is definately worth your time to have a demonstration and talk to some current FTX100L owners (probably outside of your territory). No Disappointments!

They are not as bullet proof as you imply. What about the final drive? Hmmm about the size of a pencil.
The track system is much better than rubber no doubt.
Did you guys put better bolts on the machines yet. Those cheap chinese bolts on the outside of the machine where so soft they got all smeared and distorted and where a maintenance nightmare.
A real forestry machine has good bolts and they are protected by design. If you don't believe me go look at any modern skidder or feller buncher.
The cooling claim is reckless at best. The DG dust and vegetation fiber in the southwest will prevent your claims on any cooling system.
I do like the Fecon head but wish it had swing hammers with with replaceable pins and bushings.
Over all the tractor is very light duty and kind of cheesy when compared to major brand tracked tractors.

Fecon

Joe,

There are an awful lot of FTX100s out there and I am not aware of any final drive issues. Are you sure you have the right tractor in mind? I even checked our warranty claim records and there are no indications of any final drive issues with the FTX100L.
The FTX140s did have a final drive update and we campaigned that at no cost to the customer. Maybe that is the machine you are referring to.
As far as the cooling I would accept your challenge to perform anywhere in the US you choose, against any compareable hp machine with either the FTX100L or the FTX148L at any ambient temperature, climate or elevation.
Of course you have to do your regular maintenance and clean the coolers if they become clogged but you know that is standard practice in the mulching world.
Also, to what major brand Tractor do you refer? I believe Fecon has the largest market share of purpose duty built tracked forestry mulchers out there. If you are a person who uses a mulcher to make a living Joe I would like to come and visit you and your environment. I am very familiar with So Cal. I lived there for many years and operated a mulch, compost yard. I know your environmnet and I would be happy to try and change your opinion about the tractors. I have no doubt that I can.
Well Joe, can I get an invitation to put my tractor where my mouth is?

Joe,

There are an awful lot of FTX100s out there and I am not aware of any final drive issues. Are you sure you have the right tractor in mind? I even checked our warranty claim records and there are no indications of any final drive issues with the FTX100L.
The FTX140s did have a final drive update and we campaigned that at no cost to the customer. Maybe that is the machine you are referring to.
As far as the cooling I would accept your challenge to perform anywhere in the US you choose, against any compareable hp machine with either the FTX100L or the FTX148L at any ambient temperature, climate or elevation.
Of course you have to do your regular maintenance and clean the coolers if they become clogged but you know that is standard practice in the mulching world.
Also, to what major brand Tractor do you refer? I believe Fecon has the largest market share of purpose duty built tracked forestry mulchers out there. If you are a person who uses a mulcher to make a living Joe I would like to come and visit you and your environment. I am very familiar with So Cal. I lived there for many years and operated a mulch, compost yard. I know your environmnet and I would be happy to try and change your opinion about the tractors. I have no doubt that I can.
Well Joe, can I get an invitation to put my tractor where my mouth is?

So far I like the Barko best in rubber tire and a D-5 or 953 best on track machines depending on terrain and vegetation hight. A Timco is nice. I have not run one but have worked beside one and it was impressive.
I certainly know your machines are better masticators than rubber track skid steer loaders.
Lol don't try to jerk my chain. No I don't need you to make a special trip to convince me. Just keep your machine on milder terrain or step it up. Believe me I will hear all about it if you make a real forestry machine.
You don't have to worry about changing my opinion on the little Fecons. I have over 1000 hrs on an 140 and have operated several others.
The best part of the machine is the head. Even it needs the bolt situation upgraded to what is standard on other industrial machines. Also what other machine manufacture makes cylinder pins with out grease fittings?

I replaced my ASV with a Takeuchi TL250 for mulching. It is ten times the machine in rough terrain and mud. The front idelers are big which allows it to climb over rocks/logs that would stop other CTLs. The ASV cut better due to the higher PSI. I may try cranking the pumps up a few hundred psi and see what happens. Takeuchi does have a extra cooling package which includes a hydraulic cooler and reversing fan. I had a lexan door installed at the factory and larger sized hydraulic couplers (like the ASV).

I have heard that the new Bobcat will NOT be over 100 hp...someting about emissions and a motor compartment that is too small for the extra equipment to make it compliant....don't know if that's true but it sounded right when I heard it?????

Whatever you decide on it will break. I am looking at a dedicated unit for higher productivity and durability.

I also own daewoo 175 excavator with a Denis Cimaf and that setup has been bullet proof. Never any heating issues, tough steel tracks and much lower cost to run then a skid steer. It can mulch 12-14 inch hardwood and navigate terrain the CTL can't, trim branches to 25 feet and mow around rock walls, steep banks and pond edges. It is slightly slower in wide open small diameter material but over all it makes more money for me then my skid steer.

Good luck.
I am brand new to doing comments on forums so please take it easy!! but have gained much knowledge from reading your forum along with everyone else's. I am trying to research the cost of the hydraulic cooling fan package for a 2008 Takehuchi tl 150. Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks for all the wisdom!!
Cheers!!

Back