Boot Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeAce

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Can sombody please tell me whats up with the tassel lookn fringey things that are down by the bottom of the laces on many logger boots? Is there some purpose for them or maybe some kinda tradition ?

It is called a kiltie, and yes, adds protection in the area around the base of the tongue. Matter of personal taste whether one likes the look or not, in any event they are easily removed. Some shoe styles have them as well.

Last edited:
It is called a kiltie, and yes, adds protection in the area around the base of the tongue. Matter of personal taste whether one likes the look or not, in any event they are easily removed. Some shoe styles have them as well.

Thanks. I bought a pair of wescos bout three years ago and I took em off cuz they seemed alittle odd . In ohio u just dont see em . least I never did . Finally wore them wescos out (great boots!) and decided to try out some Thorogoods. USA made n cheaper so what the heck . This time da kilties stay.

Actually, I know for a fact that is was the idea of 2 good boot makers. It is a sublimal tool designed to keep you focused when lacing up. They did not do this until a couple of guys hated the word 'lace' in tree work and approached boot makers world wide to promote proper thinng and abolish the word 'lace'. Their motto was' I lace my boot's,' . These guys are getting up there in age and not sure if the next new tassle ( sublimal) design will be realized in their time. They knew only real tree guys would buy them if they did this. They knew the flappy thing would be in focus of every tree guy lacing up. They knew someone would ask about it and they were right. They are designing a new tassle at this time, but time is not on their side. Actually, they could use some help. Their next design will sublimally remind you of 'Topping'.
Jeff :)

Actually, I know for a fact that is was the idea of 2 good boot makers. It is a sublimal tool designed to keep you focused when lacing up. They did not do this until a couple of guys hated the word 'lace' in tree work and approached boot makers world wide to promote proper thinng and abolish the word 'lace'. Their motto was' I lace my boot's,' . These guys are getting up there in age and not sure if the next new tassle ( sublimal) design will be realized in their time. They knew only real tree guys would buy them if they did this. They knew the flappy thing would be in focus of every tree guy lacing up. They knew someone would ask about it and they were right. They are designing a new tassle at this time, but time is not on their side. Actually, they could use some help. Their next design will sublimally remind you of 'Topping'.

OK...I just have one question...is your degree in BS a masters or do u hold a doctorate??

I always understood why they are there, but could never figure out why a majority of people (presumably since they make them that way) would want them frilly. I cut the fringey things off.

OK...I just have one question...is your degree in BS a masters or do u hold a doctorate??

Actually, both. The master's I got on my own. My doctorate was bought from Cody. It was Cody's idea to put the tassle's on, but Wesley hated the idea. Cody convinced Wes that the real tree guys would be a loyal customer base. Cody was right, but Wesley could get over the fact that a tree guy knows what he want's more than a manufacturer. The argument ended on the day they got a big order. Wesley and Cody went for a beer that nite to celebrate and discuss the business. Wes was smart and rather than reveal a humble side, he got Cody drunk and they signed a great contract that Wesley told Cody that Wesco is a great name and Cody said " Yeah! Told you mufu!

LMAO...it all makes sense now. I just needed that last part in order for the first part to make any sense . So ..wesely just wanted to make sure that people would stop lacing things...including trees. But before he dies he just wants future generations of tree guys to lay off the topping. so the tassles remind us of there sacrifices in the industry and they remind Cody to always listen for last call . BRILLIANT!!

LMAO...it all makes sense now. I just needed that last part in order for the first part to make any sense . So ..wesely just wanted to make sure that people would stop lacing things...including trees. But before he dies he just wants future generations of tree guys to lay off the topping. so the tassles remind us of there sacrifices in the industry and they remind Cody to always listen for last call . BRILLIANT!!

You have a gift. So now you know that a tassle is more than just a tassle. Now, how about the idea of helping these guys out with a ' topping' tassle? I am thinking about a design that has the last eye ' in half'. What do you think?
Jeff ;)

Last edited:
You have a gift. So now you know that a tassle is more than just a tassle. Now, how about the idea of helping these guys out with a ' topping' tassle? I am thinking about a design that has the last eye ' in half'. What do you think?
Jeff ;)

It needs to be a No Hassel Tassel...A saddle tassel?? a saw tassel?? Wait a min!!....what about Chainsaw chaps tassels?? down the sides...like from the 70s. This could be big.

Gods speed Wes n Cody

If you work in the bush they do help to keep crap from getting stuck in your bootstraps. By the way I just bought a pair of Vibergs they fit like a ball glove worth every penny. I've tried high top climbers and new fangled tech boots and nothing compares.

I bought a pair of Vibergs as well and put the "tassels" on. When I showed the new boot to the wife she said the tassels looked kinda gay.

I left them on just to bug her. :laugh:

"Oh I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K......"

Latest posts

Back