Boot Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure where they came from, but do know they have been on lineman/climber boots for at least 40 years. In fact I have picture from the early 70's of some climbers, and you can clearly see them on the boots. Never did know what they were for, but everybody left them on - as only were on the higher end boots.. and so seemed to be the logical thing to do I guess.

I had never heard of Viberg boots before so i checked em out online. They look sweet . That Highline is a beauty . I will keep them in mind for in the future . I hope my new Thorogoods last a couple years . I got 3 years outa wesco jobmasters . I was alittle disapointed today when I put on my Bashlin spurs and found that the heel isnt quite as tall on the Thorogoods and I could kinda feel the bottom part of spur hit the ground . Shouldnt be walken around on ground with spurs on anyway i guess . They do fit good and "break in" time has been like nothin. My feet are happy...the rest of my body on the other hand..

Eh I've always wondered about it myself. Didn't like how it looks but now I'll keep it now that I know it has a purpose.

I told you where! are you calling me a liar? I am gonna be 50 in Feb., Wes and Cody were legends before my time! You are needing a history lesson.
Jeff :D

Well Jeff.. :) I would never call you a liar.. :confused:

But.. well Wes and Cody may be legends in their own time.. they did not invent the Wesco boots ..

BTW .. I was 50 about 3 1/2 years ago..

Just out of interest .. ever heard of the West Coast Shoe Company?

If not.. here is some history:

In 1918, Henry Shoemaker founded the West Coast Shoe Company in sleepy Scappoose, Washington. His customers were rugged frontiersmen, loggers, miners and ranchers who needed footwear that could withstand the rigors of daily abuse. In response, he perfected a 155-step process of cutting, molding, gluing, sewing, riveting, sanding, and polishing each of the 14 separate pieces of leather that it takes to build a pair of Wesco boots.

The company feature nine sturdy styles, and we're especially fond of the classic black “Boss.” The construction, from steel toe to optional fireproof sole, is worthy of any biker looking for boots that expect abuse and withstand punishment. Considering the scant few inches between your feet and the unforgiving asphalt rushing recklessly beneath them, a pair of Wesco boots might be the most important piece of clothing you wear while riding.

Wesco provides a measurement template with each customer's order, then builds the boots in matching pairs to your specifications, all in an effort to properly fit the boots to your feet. Hides are taken from the thickest part of a steer's rump, and soles are stitched completely through the Vibram treads. Before leaving the factory, every detail, thread and rivet is closely scrutinized to assure that inside the box that arrives at your door are some of the toughest boots on the planet.

www.westcoastshoe.com

Damn Jeff that was harsh, Here I was gunna pay tribute too Wes and Cody, now I dont know what to do! Who do I send this check too?

I prefer good ol Cat boots, the Indiana's, high enough for ankle and gaff protection, gecko style sole that is soft and has tons of grip. Cost about 100 bucks.
So you all can keep yur fancy boots, with your tassels!

protects tounge from laces also in high flex area

Correct.. the tongue used to be made of thin leather .. apparently not as necessary today but they keep the tradition.

Here is info from Wesco site:

False Tongue / Kilty

The false tongue or kilty is an 8" (20 Cm) strip of leather with a serrated edge at the bottom which is held in place by the bootlace as it passes through the bottom eyelets.

The false tongue comes standard on all lace-up Wesco boots. Whether you use it is up to you. Either you lace it in when you install the laces or you leave it out.

Some people swear by them and think they are the epitome of the logger / lineman boot. Others think they make the boots look like golf shoes. That said, you won't see many loggers in the North West forests of the US wearing their boots without them

They were originally intended to provide padding between the bootlaces and the instep of the foot in logger boots. This was necessary in boots which used thin leather for the tongue and also protected the tongue from wear by the laces. Wesco uses thick, supple leather in the fully gusseted tongue, so the false tongue is not as necessary. It is a traditional complement to the boot.

Damn Jeff that was harsh, Here I was gunna pay tribute too Wes and Cody, now I dont know what to do! Who do I send this check too?

I prefer good ol Cat boots, the Indiana's, high enough for ankle and gaff protection, gecko style sole that is soft and has tons of grip. Cost about 100 bucks.
So you all can keep yur fancy boots, with your tassels!

Yeah,57 is a buzz kill. :cheers:
Jeff

Like Wesco, Viberg have a strong history here in Canada also. They were the company responsible for the replaceable cork! Viberg are the industry standard for hardcore timber fellers here on the west coast. They are expensive and well worth it. If you have a difficult foot to find boots for they will custom build a pair for you (for a price).If you maintain them properly they last for many years not like 200 dollar synthetic (stinky foot grosstex) boots that rot and the soles delaminate.

boots...

....i dont give a flying #### what my boots look like..... long as they stand up to abuse, dont hurt my feet, and dont cost as much as a small used car....

Just Me.

When I see a thread that is as long as "two," there is NO WAY I can follow it.
To much information is annoying!
Unless there is a "difference of opinion."
However, I do like a "Battle of Wits." (Count me out)
I hope we could get a section of AS for... venting, no restrictions.
For example "oh yeah?' Let finish this "debate, insult, rumors, tattle tails, truth at a new Forum.
Arborist Site- FIGHT CLUB.
AS probably started out this way. I love this site.

When I see a thread that is as long as "two," there is NO WAY I can follow it.
To much information is annoying!
Unless there is a "difference of opinion."
However, I do like a "Battle of Wits." (Count me out)
I hope we could get a section of AS for... venting, no restrictions.
For example "oh yeah?' Let finish this "debate, insult, rumors, tattle tails, truth at a new Forum.
Arborist Site- FIGHT CLUB.
AS probably started out this way. I love this site.

The good ole day's.
Jeff

Latest posts

Back