boot recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPVelasJr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My new Red Wings blew apart in 1 year, what is a good brand for between $200-300.

I always have 2 prs (#953, and #2218).

I don't know if this is the proper place to ask this question, if it isn't give me a yell.

Not sure what size boot you wear, but if you can find a pair of Rocky Great Oak Loggers they are tough! I had a pair that lasted me 4 years until they finally gave up. They are discontinued, but I have found a few of them left online.

I would recommend any Rocky product with vibram soles. I have redwings now because I get a discount through them, but that's the ONLY reason I still have a pair!!!

I hate to say it but you do get what you pay for, my Caulked Wesco are going on the 4th year without being rebuilt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I hate to say it but you do get what you pay for, my Caulked Wesco are going on the 4th year without being rebuilt.

I always wore Red Wing my 2 older pair were almost 20 years old. I wore 1 pr in the Fleet. the quality has really gone down hill. I don't need caulked boots (I had to look them up, never heard of them).
I wear a 9.5B and 1 pr should have a steel toe.

You might check out the Meindl brand...I'm on my second pair, and if you are looking for good support and a comfortable boot you will like them. I am hard on my boots, and was only getting 4 to 6 months out of a pair of Red Wings. The Meindls I have were just over $300.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

I was looking into Wesco, Hoffman, and Viberg. Any comments on these?
I wear Wesco caulk boots and love them another thing I like is they are local to me. A lot of it is personal preference on what you like.

I wear Wesco caulk boots and love them another thing I like is they are local to me. A lot of it is personal preference on what you like.

how long does a pair last, like I said I never heard of caulk boots before & don't need them, but if I'm going to spend $$$ on them I'd like them to last at least as long as the "old style" Red Wings.

how long does a pair last, like I said I never heard of caulk boots before & don't need them, but if I'm going to spend $$$ on them I'd like them to last at least as long as the "old style" Red Wings.
This is my 5th year on the same boot and they haven't been rebuilt yet only thing that has been replaced is the spikes and a lace here and there. I will worn you they aren't waterproof either.

This is my 5th year on the same boot and they haven't been rebuilt yet only thing that has been replaced is the spikes and a lace here and there. I will worn you they aren't waterproof either.

Well I always put mink oil on my boots. If I got the wesco it would bethe "Jobmaster" in steel toe. HOPEFULLY they will last more than the new RW's. Curiousity is getting the better of me, how do WALK in boots with spiked soles?

Well I always put mink oil on my boots. If I got the wesco it would bethe "Jobmaster" in steel toe. HOPEFULLY they will last more than the new RW's. Curiousity is getting the better of me, how do WALK in boots with spiked soles?
I'm a timber faller so I wear them in the brush all the time. Seems like Wesco recommends bees wax over mink oil.

I'm a timber faller so I wear them in the brush all the time. Seems like Wesco recommends bees wax over mink oil.

We don't wear anything like that here (at least not my Amish friends). I did logging to put myself through school (PSU), then melted for a year in Iraq. When I got back I bought new RW's and now see how poorly made they've become.

Salewa mountain trainer mid on Amazon, looking at $130-180 tops. Great spurlesss climbing boot. 1 pair everyday 6 months, 2 a year + great boot.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Not sure if they make anything for your needs, but I wear a pair of USA made Danner duty (Marine) boots all day every day. Takes forever to really break in but damn comfortable and really well built

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Back