Boots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

412jason

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
anyone have a recommendations in regards to chainsaw protective boots. I cant take these rubber boots another day!

J

I don't think any of the "protective" boots breath all that well if that's what your concerned about. I prefer just plain old leather, use the farmer calks when I know I'm going to be in mud or extra wet conditions, (swamp logging is frowned on here...). Otherwise I just make sure not to cut my foot off. Steel toes make a decent compromise.

Boots are like everything else in life ....a personal preference lol and it also depends how deep ya pockets are too

I have a pair of the rubber Husky chainsaw boots. I really hate to wear them but I got certified through the Boy Scouts of America to be able to use a chainsaw on Scout activities and I "have" to have them. 99.9% of the time, I just wear a good leather steel toe boot and try REALLY hard to not cut my foot off.

Whatever you buy, drop the coin on some GORE TEX membrane boots. Trust me here.

O T. Your a great guy and I have a ton of respect for you. But I couldn't Disagree more. I've yet to see a pair of gore Tex boots that can hold up to a pair of best boots.
I have yet to see the economy in going cheap on boots.

Get Vibergs!!!!!
Barring Vibergs
then Buffalo's, Whites, Hawthorne, Wesco, or if you r rolling in the dough Kuelien.

I personally like the Viking rubber corks for wet wet wet conditions. They are a stronger boot than XTra Tuff corks.

I agree tramp .....gore-tex or any of the other waterproof membranes don't hold up well they ok till the membrane splits which it will .....it good for walking boots but they don't go thru the rigors of work.

OP buy good quality leather caulks .....oil em regularly and grease em ......if ya want gore- tex then buy liners they cheaper and when they split they easily replaced imo

just remember that gor tex will be hot if you cut in hot weather. even uninsulated gor tex is hotter than plain leather. you my find, if ya go with unlined ya may need a narrow width.

O T. Your a great guy and I have a ton of respect for you. But I couldn't Disagree more. I've yet to see a pair of gore Tex boots that can hold up to a pair of best boots.
I have yet to see the economy in going cheap on boots.

Get Vibergs!!!!!
Barring Vibergs
then Buffalo's, Whites, Hawthorne, Wesco, or if you r rolling in the dough Kuelien.

I personally like the Viking rubber corks for wet wet wet conditions. They are a stronger boot than XTra Tuff corks.

Yep-Vibergs. I'll never own anything else.

As far as the most economical cork shoes around I would say my Viberg 105 T s are right up there. Having almost completed my 35 th month in them and as I paid 340$ for them new in 2003 . That puts their cost at 3$ 40 ¢ a month. Not counting replaced screw ins or boot grease which would be the same regardless the brand.
That is cheap traction and comfort.

Vibergs.... yeah... been pretty happy with the Hoffman retreads... but I might have to get me some custom whites next new pair, always wanted a pair of custom boots... and the viberg customs are not cheap...

(I hate walking on gravel with earplugs in and calks on... reminds me of bad things...)

anyone have a recommendations in regards to chainsaw protective boots. I cant take these rubber boots another day!

J

Asking for recomendations on what boot to buy is as bad as asking what brand of chainsaw to buy. However many different brands there are is about how many different answers you'll get.
For quality boots just remember the first rule of business. You don't always get what you pay for, but you'll always pay for what you get.
That being said, I try to keep myself in pretty good boots. My last pair of White's didn't live up to my expectations. My last pair of Wesco's was a disapointment as well. I bought a pair of Red Dawgs from Bailey's a couple of months ago. :msp_unsure: They are the hardest boots to break in I've had in the last 20 years. :msp_scared: We'll see how they hold up, but I don't think I'd be willing to go through the break in again.

As far as chainsaw protection goes...the best protection you can utilize is between your ears, not on your feet. :msp_thumbsup:

Andy

I'm not gonna say that saw protection is a bad idea in boots. But considering I have thousands of hours with a screaming razor sharp chainsaw in my hands and only less than 2% of that time with boots with cut protection on my feet. I don't think it totally necessary.
Getting cut is mostly caused by your brain not being imediatly on task. . Most all injuries and deaths in the brush are caused from that.

If you. 1, keep your brain immediately on task, 2, watch your tip, 3, watch your footing then the cuts and injuries are almost non existant.
A good quality pair of leather corks that fit right and are well maintained go a long way toward your feet being comfortable. Which helps with 2 of those.

Like Red said- the Red Dawgs are ##### to break in, but I'm liking them. I wore the Madsen branded Whites last summer. They were built like a tank, but they were heavy. Both can be had in the mid $200 range. I haven't gotten to the point of tossing $400 on boots...yet.

Like Red said- the Red Dawgs are ##### to break in, but I'm liking them. I wore the Madsen branded Whites last summer. They were built like a tank, but they were heavy. Both can be had in the mid $200 range. I haven't gotten to the point of tossing $400 on boots...yet.

Aw c'mon Bob, everybody knows that loggers are just rolling in money. Get yourself some Kuliens. :laugh:

Back on topic...I've had good luck with Wesco calks for everyday wear and the orange Viking calks for when it's wet, muddy, or cold.

Aw c'mon Bob, everybody knows that loggers are just rolling in money. Get yourself some Kuliens. :laugh:

Back on topic...I've had good luck with Wesco calks for everyday wear and the orange Viking calks for when it's wet, muddy, or cold.

Well I know you boys out west are swimming in cash, but around here we gotta watch the bottom line! :msp_cool:

What do you think about the Red Dawgs? Thought ya had a pair while waitin on yer Wescos.

Well I know you boys out west are swimming in cash, but around here we gotta watch the bottom line! :msp_cool:

What do you think about the Red Dawgs? Thought ya had a pair while waitin on yer Wescos.

Yup, we're raking it in. There's just a ton of money in logging out here. I'm still looking for it but I know it's around here somewhere. I think most of it's at the Cat dealer...and the tax office, and the insurance company, and the fuel dealer, and... :msp_mad:

I did have a pair of Bailey's. I wore them for a couple of months while the Wescos were being built. I didn't take any special care of them because I knew I'd be dumping them when the Wescos were ready.

I was surprised by the quality. For a "cheap" boot they're well made...good heavy leather, stitching that didn't come unraveled, and the calks themselves stayed tight. Some guy in Oregon has them now and last I heard they're still going strong.

I didn't have any trouble breaking them in but maybe my feet aren't as delicate as Andy's. :D

Back