Boots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have had the chippewas on for a week i was going to sell ,the unlined ones ,never had unlined before ,yes my heel was wearing through in my waterproof chippewas that were lined,but they are 2 years old ,the unlined new ones were rubbing on my legs pretty good first couple days ,getting better ,starting to soften some ,i hate breaking in new boots

The removable lined boot are better then non removable for maintenance reasons. Boots need washed out when worn daily to reduce salt build up and removing grit that works its way down into the boot.

unlined, lined is just to hot, and generally don't last me as long.

Been seeing some with just a cloth backing on the leather, supposed to be whicking or some BS, but all it does is create more inulation and less breathing therefore more foot sweat and more toe jam...

I also wear wool socks with my calks and whites but thats mostly cause they are just a little to big, and regular socks I get arn't tall enough... poor planing I guess.

had a pair of the arctic chippewas for about 4 years. they dont have the tall hell on the back and are lined..wear em year round. of course i stay in a cab more than on the ground. wear like tennis shoes. the liners wear out around your heel after about 2 years, and the bottoms go slick after about 4 years

should have pulled the trigger on them extra pair of reddawgs ,there out of my size now.

Anybody hear any rumors about Nick's being on shaky business ground? we just ordered a couple pairs and they have to build them. Can't imagine why they wouldn't have standard sizes in stock unless they were building everything to order because business is slow.

So I was fondling a pair of wesco's today...(ya know instead of actually working)

And noticed they have their own style of calks/nails more like the old pound in type but designed to work with replaceable boots... was wondering if anybody is using them and what kind of life ya getting out of em. the Champs and other variants just don't seem to last very long, but them wesco's looked like they may be hardened and just plain mean and sharp... plus they look to use a standard wrench instead of a chinsy spanner socket thing...

Also the wesco's where lighter then the whites, and vibergs... may have to get me a pair next time I need some...

Wesco's are a scoosh lighter than a real strong boot like Vibergs. But you really pay for that in the long term. The last pair of new Wesco's I bought didn't make it 8 months of me bushelin on Prince of Wales. The arch broke down and that was that. And that was when I was a 190 pound bachelor.
I'm into my 36 th month cuttin and climbing in my Viberg 105 T. . Now that we are getting some rain they are all day waterproof again. . It was really dry this spring and I got a tiny seep in 1 boot when I stepped in a crik. Like I say, they are allday comfortable and water pruf.
I am starting to wear the leather some up in front of the shaft of the boots by the eyes and hooks. But. They are still going extremely strong. . If the time/ cost is factored in it comes out to around 18$ a month that these cost me and more than half of that is boot oil and replacement screwins . I have now spent more on replacement corks and oil than the boots originally cost.

So I was fondling a pair of wesco's today...(ya know instead of actually working)

And noticed they have their own style of calks/nails more like the old pound in type but designed to work with replaceable boots... was wondering if anybody is using them and what kind of life ya getting out of em. the Champs and other variants just don't seem to last very long, but them wesco's looked like they may be hardened and just plain mean and sharp... plus they look to use a standard wrench instead of a chinsy spanner socket thing...

Also the wesco's where lighter then the whites, and vibergs... may have to get me a pair next time I need some...

The Wesco nails look good but I don't think they're really any better than anything else. It might be my imagination or the usual old guy rant about things not lasting like they used to but they don't seem to wear as well as they used to. They are easy to change out.
I've always had good luck with Wesco boots but, unlike Tramp and some of you guys up in the wet country, mine stay dry most of the time. I think that helps them last longer.

Last edited:
...and remember that there will be approximately two whole days, if you're lucky, when the length of the spikes is "just right". Before and after that they're either too long and build up trash or they're too stubby and don't grab anymore. Two days. Well, maybe three if you're careful.

Been having good luck with the Phillips caulks and doing log quality I'm constantly on the roads. Changed calks once this summer. I could of gone another few weeks before another change. I rotate and then only replace the ones that are toast. No sense in letting em get to nubs cause they don't do me any good other than save money...

This is how I broke in the current set of Nick's I'm wearing. Worked great, only took a couple of days, way less squishy than the alternative.

How ya liking the nicks Nate? Thinkin bout getting a set with my tax return this spring.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I've been thinking of getting a set of corks to hunt and cut wood in. Are the Madsens house brand any good or should I go on up to a Hoffman or something like that? They will probably only be worn 20 times a year or less.

I have a pair of Madsen's house brand and have held up good so far. My use of them is about what you would wear yours. The leather is fairly soft but break in easy. Just remember they are a $200 pair of boots and not a $400 plus.
One more thing, once you have a pair of corks you'll wonder how you ever walked in the woods before.

Back