Bore cut felling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like my Gramps Jacob... he used to punch those same donkeys in the woods back in the day. He and another cat used to have contests back at the shop. Like squeezing pairs of pliers until the ends of the handles touched.

My Dad always told me about it when i was little... then one day me, my Dad, my Uncle and my Cousin were at gramps place helping him put up firewood for the season.

I asked him about doin' that. He went in and got a pair of pliers and squeezed them in his mammoth hands. The ends of the handles didn't touch, but they were bent up pretty good. That was 6 months before he died... he was 70 years old. :)

Gary

The harder you push it, the stronger you get, until you start tearin' things loose. That muscle under the shoulder blade, that runs along the spine, was a favorite wind sucking event, right there with a chokerbell to the knee. In any event, if there wasn't bone showing, you kept at it.

I got hit in the sternum with a pissed off 076 once. Hard to breathe for months. Just kinda "got over it". Seein' it knocked me clean off the spar i was on didn't help matters...

Still got a small "pit" in my upper sternum... from the handle of that saw. :)

Gary

I got hit in the sternum with a pissed off 076 once. Hard to breathe for months. Just kinda "got over it". Seein' it knocked me clean off the spar i was on didn't help matters...

Still got a small "pit" in my upper sternum... from the handle of that saw. :)

Gary

That sounds rough!
I never got hit there, but in the thigh more than a few times. Nothing like the pistola grip kickback. I had one in September while bucking a big ol fir on a steep sidehill that put me on my knees for a few minutes, and was black for two weeks, then a bluish green/yellow for another. Dang that hurts.

That sounds rough!
I never got hit there, but in the thigh more than a few times. Nothing like the pistola grip kickback. I had one in September while bucking a big ol fir on a steep sidehill that put me on my knees for a few minutes, and was black for two weeks, then a bluish green/yellow for another. Dang that hurts.

We used to call those "blueberry pie" bruises.

That's good advice. There are some basics that are iron-clad rules but the rest of it is mostly common sense and paying attention to the tree. The tree is indifferent, it doesn't care if it kills you or not.

It's kind of like shooting pool or playing chess...you want to be thinking a couple of moves ahead all the time.

LOLOL...you can fall 100 trees that do exactly what you'd planned for them but that 101st might have you running for your life. Those are the ones that humble you and a little humility never hurt anyone.

Tried to rep ya, but wouldn't let me! Anyway, good post! Well said.

Rain day.

BitzerBob, don't worry, they're not rules anyhow, just suggestions. Like the yellow line. And stop signs on private property.

Yeah I meant to put "rules" in qoutes. Are there really any rules? I've never been much for them and in the woods the trees don't care anyway. Like Gologit said, a few steps ahead of the tree. I've always been playing around with different things. Faces, cuts, ideas. Just thinking about weight and mechanics. Wind, lean, frozen wood, how wood moves different times of year, etc. I've played more after I found this site or just realized stuff I've played with had names. Some have sent me running and kicked my ass. Others have worked and made me feel like I know what I'm doing. I still think about it all the time. Driving down the road or walking through the woods with the wife and kids. The wife yelling at me to quit looking at the damn trees.

bitzercreek1;26033 Driving down the road or walking through the woods with the wife and kids. The wife yelling at me to quit looking at the damn trees.[/QUOTE said:
That's hilarious! I do the exact same thing. Every time we're going for a walk or drive through timber I'm always sizing up the lay or critiquing stumps!

That's hilarious! I do the exact same thing. Every time we're going for a walk or drive through timber I'm always sizing up the lay or critiquing stumps!

LOLOL...it's a disease or something. I'm always figuring lead, possible landing sites, truck roads...all the usual stuff.

I took some friends from out of state to the Redwoods a few years ago. They live in the desert. They were awestruck by the trees. I was planning layouts.;)

I still think about it all the time. Driving down the road or walking through the woods with the wife and kids. The wife yelling at me to quit looking at the damn trees.

LOLOL...it's a disease or something. I'm always figuring lead, possible landing sites, truck roads...all the usual stuff.

I took some friends from out of state to the Redwoods a few years ago. They live in the desert. They were awestruck by the trees. I was planning layouts.;)

Do ya'll mutter to yourself about layouts and such?

I mutter and point. Some people look where I point and then look at me like WTF?

I constantly critique stumps. If I'm with the little lady I try to explain to her what they did wrong etc. She usualy just gets pist and asks why do I have to be so critical. Walkin through the woods, "yeah I'd start with that one there and then that one next..." At this point I've got the kids seeing stumps too and the oldest one naming species with the next one not too far behind.

Haha, isn't that the truth! Can't help ourselves, it's in our blood! Possibly a rare blood disorder!?

I constantly critique stumps. If I'm with the little lady I try to explain to her what they did wrong etc. She usualy just gets pist and asks why do I have to be so critical. Walkin through the woods, "yeah I'd start with that one there and then that one next..." At this point I've got the kids seeing stumps too and the oldest one naming species with the next one not too far behind.

LOL, sounds like we're all cut from the same cloth!:cheers:

Jameson, I don't usually mutter, but do talk out loud! I get the WTF looks though too! Usually from my wife and kids! Although I have to be careful, my 4 year old son is taking an interest now in what Dad does! Lord help me! I'm trying to steer him into dentistry! I'm gonna need someone to support me when I retire!

I know the feeling. I take the Boy Scouts out for a hike in the woods and end up telling how to build a lay or fall a leaner. When we climb up on an OG stump I scrape away the leaves and explain the stump to them. I think they could all use a springboard if need be.

LOL, sounds like we're all cut from the same cloth!:cheers:

Jameson, I don't usually mutter, but do talk out loud! I get the WTF looks though too! Usually from my wife and kids! Although I have to be careful, my 4 year old son is taking an interest now in what Dad does! Lord help me! I'm trying to steer him into dentistry! I'm gonna need someone to support me when I retire!

So I am not the only one that talks, yells, screams, hollers, sings, while on the saw.

Haha I thought I was maybe alittle bit lulu for being so vocal, I know there are a few foresters that think I am. . .:hmm3grin2orange:

"go on you mother####in piece of ####, you aint too good for gravity, "there ya go ya #####" are commonly spoken words. text gets alittle too vulgar to phrase when things go wrong. . . haha.

There is a local guy who can out scream and yell anybody else. The trouble is he is not very original in his choice of words. One time, I had just driven up and was talking to his dad. A tree went down and we heard a certain word screamed over and over. After a few minutes, I asked his dad if maybe we shouldn't go up and check on him, did he think he was OK?

His dad said, "Well, he's still hollering so he's alive."

So I am not the only one that talks, yells, screams, hollers, sings, while on the saw.

Haha I thought I was maybe alittle bit lulu for being so vocal, I know there are a few foresters that think I am. . .:hmm3grin2orange:

"go on you mother####in piece of ####, you aint too good for gravity, "there ya go ya #####" are commonly spoken words. text gets alittle too vulgar to phrase when things go wrong. . . haha.

No you are not the only one. i commonley cuss trees:yoyo:

Back