'Bore cut' versus 'Plunge cut'?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that's some exhaustive research for a pedantic, semantic tempest in a teapot...
Thank you (I think?).

I was surprised at how hard it was to find clear info on bore/plunge cutting, since I consider them to be pretty common techniques. Lots of opinions in forums like this; lot of YouTube videos; etc. Was looking for 'authoritative' references from sources that others might accept.

Philbert

Now Randy that's not called for.....LOL.....some of us like the security of knowledge......LOL....some of us call it tip cutting...some plunge...some bore.....I don't have a good answer. But we only cut wee trees here anymore.......cut all the bigun's here earlier before we went west to cut those bigun's.... LOL!!

Or are they 'braces'. . .?

DirtDOG.gif

^^^That's what I thought.
In Canada there is no terminology for "Plunge cut". If someone starts talking "plunge cut" or "face cut", or "snipe", they get snapped at and shut down. Its an undercut. "Face" is the felling face, a snipe in falling is a long pointy, usually branchless stem that usually is growing from the bottom of the main stem ( or the less dominant as you see with ceder trees.) Think of the name for the Snipe with the very long pointy beak. As far as the mention of there being a difference for the same thing in the states between a standing tree and a horizontal tree? If that true then all I can say is "how America" of them to confuse simple things.
Canadian's like it simple.
They do things that make sense.
They always do it doggy fashion, so they can both watch the Hockey game.

If someone starts talking "plunge cut" or "face cut", or "snipe", they get snapped at and shut down. Its an undercut.
A plunge / bore cut is not an undercut.

It is used to remove the inner portions of a trunk, log, limb to prevent barber chairing, or to test for internal decay prior to committing to a cut. Could be used as part of a back cut. This is where terminology can be important.

I was told by a west coast guy that they do not use it much over there (?), but it is pretty popular over on this side of the continent.

Philbert

This is where it is important to determine if different terms are for the same thing (e.g. 'spikes' vs 'dogs' or 'dawgs'), or different things altogether.
Some videos in Post#8 and illustrations in Post#19

If someone starts talking "plunge cut" or "face cut", or "snipe", they get snapped at and shut down. Its an undercut. "Face" is the felling face, a snipe in falling is a long pointy, usually branchless stem

Felling Cuts.png USFS
I have seen 'face cut' used interchangeably with 'undercut';
'horizontal cut' used interchangeably with 'gunning cut';
'holding cut' interchangeably with 'matching cut'; etc.

Can be confusing when working with different partners, or if you make your sloping cut first, and 'gun'/aim off of that.

IMG_2121.jpg
IMG_2122.jpg
To Fell A Tree - Jepson

Here are some links to 'snip' cuts:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/homboldt-with-a-snipe.58936/

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/logging/glossary.html

Philbert

Here in Maine to cut and sell wood commercially you must be licensed by the state.......you will be assigned a number that must be plainly displayed at every landing or yard. To get licensed you must take and pass a training course administered by the state forestry service. The approved and mandated way of felling is Option A above. Foresters will actually check up on you in the woods to make certain you are felling properly by law. This didn't go over real well with most woodboogers but if they wanted to keep cutting a selling to paper mills and sawmills they had to abide. It is common practice now in the commercial world here......but generally who ever owns the skidders is the only licensed cutter on a crew.....he can subcontract to others who may or may not be licensed...but it his responsibility to make sure the operation is doing everything on the up and up. It much more complicated now than it used to be......20 yrs ago many guys that got laid off from work at the end of summer season went in the woods in the winter either on their own property or bought stumpage...cut a load of pulp...get it roadside and call a trucker who took it to the mill and received the scale and pay and brought the money (Less trucking) back to the cutter. Not that way anymore....to much actual cash involved.....

It is used to remove the inner portions of a trunk, log, limb to prevent barber chairing, or to test for internal decay prior to committing to a cut. Could be used as part of a back cut. This is where terminology can be important.

I was told by a west coast guy that they do not use it much over there (?), but it is pretty popular over on this side of the continent.

Philbert

It is very popular over here - far to often to get away with using just a 13" bar on a 50cc or larger saw. It is a very useful way to cut in many situations, but misusing it that way is a waste of time.

The approved and mandated way of felling is Option A above. .....

Why is that?
Curious mostly... was I taught wrong?

I was taught to use "option A" only when Wedging in front of the holding wood (strap) was desired. Otherwise, just finish the cut as in option B and make the exist sooner.
Option B is a natural motion... cut away from the hinge taking the saw with you and leaving the tree to fall.
Coming back to cut back towards the hinge is less efficient/safe as one has more time around a compromised tree.

Out here, I cut a lot of Alders which are known to chair. Using a plunge cut is pretty much an always thing although, Seldom do I wedge with a plunge cut to finish (maybe half dozen times in 2 years).
Once in a while they are twisted as they grow upward making the weight confusing... so you wedge or use a rope winch in extreme cases.
Anyway... different strokes for different coasts maybe.

Why is that?
Curious mostly... was I taught wrong?

I was taught to use "option A" only when Wedging in front of the holding wood (strap) was desired. Otherwise, just finish the cut as in option B and make the exist sooner.
Option B is a natural motion... cut away from the hinge taking the saw with you and leaving the tree to fall.
Coming back to cut back towards the hinge is less efficient/safe as one has more time around a compromised tree.

Out here, I cut a lot of Alders which are known to chair. Using a plunge cut is pretty much an always thing although, Seldom do I wedge with a plunge cut to finish (maybe half dozen times in 2 years).
Once in a while they are twisted as they grow upward making the weight confusing... so you wedge or use a rope winch in extreme cases.
Anyway... different strokes for different coasts maybe.
Interesting point. I was taught option A, if for no other reason than to make one last check to make sure all is clear. It also seems to eliminate any chance of the bar getting stuck in the cut. I have not tried option B but will consider it.

I've collected and repaired well over a dozen ruined bars with frozen noses -- tip bearings shot. The owner, usually a logger, asks if I can repair them or if it's worth it. Whenever I ask how he wrecked the bar tip, he always says, "I do a lot of bore and plunge cutting in big logs."

The rest of the bar is usually in rather good shape. Take it from there.

Latest posts

Back