Bore cutting? (2)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As it seems you get flamed for about anything on this ite anymore, I'll go for it!
I use bore cutting a lot anymore. I had a large Oak, 36" DBH that I was felling. Had about a 12deg. lean from 90. I made a smallish face and did the backcut. I barvercharied like a mofo with a small gust of wind!! I should have made a bigger face, and bored in and cut out. I was aware and scared, so I didn't get hurt.
Had I done a bore cut, as I should have, that fifteen feet of barberchair wouldn't have been and isue, or a fear!
Many on this site will tell you all the reasons why it's bad and not needed. But I sure use it a lot bucking, and there has been more than once that I have had to make a trip and show someone how to fell a leaner.
Practicewhile bucking, you have more control and you can learn how the saw will react while doing this without having to worry about what the tree is doing!
NO, IT IS NOT FOR EVERYONE!!!!
But it certainly is a tool that can save ones backside in a bad spot!

i do bore cuts on big southern yellow pines that are leaners. we use a rope or cable to pull where we want to go or push with a loader. when i bore cut i don't do a notch. i do the bore first and work front to back leaving about two inches front and back. then i bore straight in the front only the width of my sawblade and intersect my first bore. in other words, perpendicular to my first bore cut. this creates two hinges on the edge of the tree. then do the backcut and your tree will go exactly where you want. just make sure the tree isn't too rotten.. as mentioned earlier make sure you start the plunge with the bottom tip of the saw and as soon as you get the tip in it'll shove right through. you want plenty of rpm when getting the tip started in.
Magnum 440 :chainsaw:

Back