bought a 441 Magnum today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two points to bring up here:

Hornet,
My post was in fun. Stan had it right, not blaming the 441.

Wow, this thread keeps going, and going, and going... like the "Energizer Bunny©"

So far so good with my 441.
I find myself using the saw for dropping, limbing and bucking. One saw does it all.
Weight has NOT been a factor at all, very manageable.

That many pulls doesn't sound right, unless it has been sitting for a long time........:taped:

There could be an issue SawTroll. I guess I haven't really thought about it. Once started one or two pulls the rest of the day. Also, the saw usually sit a couple of days to a week between outings. If I get out two days in a row, 3 or 4 pulls then it starts.

With all of these 90 plus degree F days, I noticed the saw loading up a little when idling. I haven't adjusted the carb yet for that. As soon as I do, the temp will drop 15 degrees, we will loose some humidity, and my saw will have a lean idle.

Last edited:
I thought of several weeks, not just a few days.......:biggrinbounce2: ;)

Seriously, try to pull ste starter rope out slowly, a couple of times, with the ignition off, to flush the carb, but not the cylinder, before your real starting attempts - if it doesn't work, something is not right, hopefully just the carb adjustments.

The 5100SH was running in 3 real pulls (2+1) yesterday, after sitting unused for 9 -10 weeks.....

Last edited:
Did I hear right, a 441 is heavier and less grunty than the 044? Is that simply a stifled muffler or is there more to it? Ditto for 361's, are they less grunty than the 036? Have been thinking of replacing my 036 with a shiny new 361, but am not so sure now, may just recondition the 036 instead as no way I wanna lose power with a 'new improved' model...

i agree when using my 441 you do not notice the weight.You can feel it if just pick it up but when using never notice it

I thought of several weeks, not just a few days.......:biggrinbounce2: ;)

Seriously, try to pull ste starter rope out slowly, a couple of times, with the ignition off, to flush the carb, but not the cylinder, before your real starting attempts - if it doesn't work, something is not right, hopefully just the carb adjustments.

The 5100SH was running in 3 real pulls (2+1) yesterday, after sitting unused for 9 -10 weeks.....

Well... I just went out and tried your suggestion.

2 pulls with ignition off. 3 pulls on choke, 2 pulls on fast idle and saw was running.

Does this mean I need to lean out the L just a tad due to the saw loading up under choke?

Well... I just went out and tried your suggestion.

2 pulls with ignition off. 3 pulls on choke, 2 pulls on fast idle and saw was running.

Does this mean I need to lean out the L just a tad due to the saw loading up under choke?

So far my 441 starts like this.

Cold start:
3 pulls with choke (decomp valve on)
2 pulls with choke off

Warm start:
1 pull every single time

First 2 tanks of gas, ran a little rough idle. Now runs pretty darn smooth without any adjustments made to the saw.

mine has always started good except once.I started it once realized id forgooten to fuel shut it off fueled it and hard to start

PA Plumber what type chains have you tried

Stihl RSC. I thought I might have had an old RS, but I'm not sure about that. I do like the RSC though. I may try a Total chain one of these days. A little cheaper and I understand they add extra chrome to the cutters.

Latest posts

Back