Bought a new Poulan Pro 5020 to see what there about

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the Oregon 18" bar and chain combo that has been talked about as a potential swap? My 2 yr old 5020 just seems to run better and better. Like to try a 18"

The new pp 5020 is the same saw, the older model has different plastic.

I sold mine to a friend last week, I had a good challenge getting it tuned right before I handed it to him. That carb on it was so finicky I thought the saw had an air leak.

I just tuned a 4218 today. That was really finicky as well.

No offense, but the reason is your probably trying to tune it like it was a old style normal carb and keeping it on the rich side. They don't like that and seem to want to run with the screws halfway between lean and rich.

I used to think the same way but you just have to accept the way they are and run them just a bit leaner then your used to.

No offense, but the reason is your probably trying to tune it like it was a old style normal carb and keeping it on the rich side. They don't like that and seem to want to run with the screws halfway between lean and rich.

I used to think the same way but you just have to accept the way they are and run them just a bit leaner then your used to.
I tuned it by ear first and it would barely cut. Then I worked it up and down by 1/8 turn till I found what it liked best. IIRC best performance was achieved with about 3/8 of a turn in from what sounded best.

It found a new home today with one of my friends who lives on 4 wooded acres and doesn't own a saw.

I tuned it by ear first and it would barely cut. Then I worked it up and down by 1/8 turn till I found what it liked best. IIRC best performance was achieved with about 3/8 of a turn in from what sounded best.

It found a new home today with one of my friends who lives on 4 wooded acres and doesn't own a saw.

I rest my case. LOL

Next time just go lean, then rich, then halfway between then you will need very little more adjustment.

Does anybody know anything about the bar on the McColloch CS 50S ? In the UK at least, its fitted with an 18"/6cm bar 3/8" chain, but that's all I know. I guess it can only be an improvement from the 20" bar on the PP, but it would be nice to know if i ought to budget on a new bar or if the one on the saw is ok and will take a standard/decent chain.

War & Peace is a great analogy. Just bought my second PP5020AV. Hope it's as good as the first. Best info in this novel is the numbers to swap out the clutch to rim drive. Thanks Mark for starting this thread. I had already bought my first one and was just trying to see if my "candy counter" purchase was sensible. Seemed too good to be true . . . a Made in USA Poulan for $200?! Since my gearhead experience is all 4 stroke I really appreciate everyone sharing their 2 stoke wizardry secrets, although 2 strokes still seem like voodoo to me. I will be putting these saws through hell with all the bug killed ash and quite a misplaced few black locust. But I'm confident that my learning curve will be their biggest challenge. BTW: I have been able to keep a Poulan XXV alive (sweet little saw) and rescue an inherited old David Bradley 917 gear drive (a real man's saw). So, thanks! Keep them cards and letters coming!

If you live in an area that has the Rural King stores they have the newer version of these saws for $199.99 with a really nice case. Thought that I seen some without the case for $149.99 but it could have been the smaller PP, I did not pay much attention as I was just trying to get out of there before temptation got the best of me...LOL.
They do have the PP 4218 strato refurbs for about $88.88.

I was ordering some small Stihl parts at my local Rural King and saw a pallet full of new Poulans. No idea which they were but did notice the display had the chain on backwards haha. Now if they were displaying a pallet full of those lime green Pooolans I might have looked a bit closer.

5020 wood! It's been a great saw for me the last 2 years. Never have had to touch the primer. Changed the plug once, when it didn't want to start. Needs more power, but works. Doesn't need any wear parts like the used saw I just bought for almost the same price!
d5c250370e74c5e1958cd735c59e88c8.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back